“I haven’t compromised her nor do I plan to,” Daniel said defensively. He would not turn Jane into one of the women that he’d ruined. Jane was complete to him, she wasn’t faceless. If he entertained such thoughts about Jane then he would need to make peace with Eleanor’s death, something he was sure that would never happen.     

Sebastian nodded once, seeming to believe him. “Regardless, it does not stop people talking in London. It won’t be long before my sister is a joke. It isn’t appropriate. You need to send her home for her sake.” Sebastian had lost all of his angst and Daniel could tell that it was coming from that of a concerned older brother.

“I can’t just make her leave. I invited her here – shouldn’t it be her decision?” Daniel asked half – heartedly.

“Jane isn’t used to life in the ton, she doesn’t know how quickly a few gossiping old ladies can ruin you. The last thing I want is for my sister to be laughed out of town, she is too pure of heart and mind to have that happen to her.”

Daniel knew that what Sebastian was saying was true. It was selfish of him to expect Jane to risk her reputation to stay at Southerby for an extended period of time. “I will ask her to return to London with you when you choose to leave,” Daniel conceded.

Sebastian managed a small smile. “Perhaps you aren’t as bad a man as I thought you were, Winchester.”

“I’m glad I could change your mind,” Daniel smiled and bowed his head.

“But that doesn’t mean I like you,” Sebastian clarified.

At dinner that evening the party was joined by Emilia’s first ladies maid and Sebastian’s first valet who had married and moved to a town neighbouring the Southerby estate.

Kassandra and Peter seemed like a nice couple. They made an honest living and they were raising a family. He liked the simplicity of their life. In another life, if he weren’t an Earl, he would’ve tried farming. He could imagine finding spending all day in the fields peaceful.

“I can’t believe that James and Kitty are four already, it seems like only yesterday they were born!” Kassandra exclaimed as they were eating their main course of quail.

“I know,” Emilia replied. “And soon they will be five years old. Time passes quickly with children.”

“Have you found that with Sabine, Lord Southerby?” Sebastian asked. “Does she grow fast?”

Daniel looked around the table cautiously. His eyes fell on Jane who was giving her brother a stern look. “I’m afraid it is only recently that I have known Sabine,” Daniel admitted. There was no reason to lie to them, he was among friends, or what would eventually become friends he hoped.

Sebastian’s eyes narrowed. “Is she a bastard child?” he asked bluntly.