Chapter 24: Imprisoned

Start from the beginning

Arthas sighed, clicking his tongue as he cocked his head to the side slightly. "Yes, and how many people did you kill today?" I took in a sharp breath and refrained myself from slapping him immediately. He saw me flinch, a knowing smirk pulling the corner of his mouth upward as he leaned forward, our faces inches apart before he whispered.

"Not much of a service, is it?" He spoke slowly, his smirk growing wider with each mocking word he said. My glare deepened but he didn't even care. Arthas only raised himself on his feet again and walked towards the door, his hand placed on the cold metal. "You and I are more alike than you realize, Fireheart."

"I am nothing like, -" He disappeared into thin air before I could finish my sentence. I was left seething, having stood up abruptly in anger, my fists balled at my side. "Sun of a..." Cursing, I started pacing in the room.

The opening of the door ended it and had me jumping slightly in fright. "Queen Fireheart." A soft voice sounded through the room. Soon I met the brown doe eyes of Padmé, which had me nailed to the spot in surprise. "Lyanna, oh Lyanna, -" It looked like she melted as she sprinted towards me, wrapping me tightly in her arms. I stood frozen for a while, unsure of what to do, but soon found out her comfort was exactly what I needed at that time. I felt the anger towards Arthas slipping away at the feeling of her warmth.

"I heard what happened." She pulled back too soon and kept me at arm's length. "I know you wouldn't purposely destroy those ships, and I've been trying to convince them otherwise but you know the senators, we've been arguing for hours. I've at least convinced them to hear you out and hold a trial before they rob Valeria blind. Tomorrow you'll have to stand before the entire senate, and if that fails we could-"

"Padmé." A masculine voice interrupted her rambling, making us both turn towards his figure in the doorway. Much to my surprise, Anakin was there, leaning against the entrance and watching me with guilty eyes.

"Anakin." I spoke softly, watching as he pushed himself of the wall and walked towards me, his dark robes flailing behind him. If anyone had told me months before I'd be relieved to see him, I would've doubted every word that came out of their mouth. Yet now, seeing him there whilst previously having thought he was on a mission far away, couldn't help the intense relief that blossomed in my stomach. "Anakin." Whispering again, my voice broke and before I knew it my knees were buckling.

He rushed towards me and wrapped me in his arms, his hand holding my head tightly against his chest. "I came as soon as I heard." Anakin spoke. "Are you hurt?" He pulled back and let his eyes roam over my body.

"No, no, I'm fine." There would be bruises on my neck, but that was of no concern to me. "It was Lord Sidious. He's going after Arthas; we have to stop him before he finds him."

Padmé quickly glanced to Anakin with a frown as he narrowed his eyes in thought. "He was there?" He questioned with a dark gaze.

"Yes, he was." I mumbled, glancing between them. "Didn't the jedi tell you? Surely there were cameras on that shipyard, didn't they pick it up? He lured me there and attacked me. If I hadn't flung him away, he would've breached my mind and found Arthas before we could've stopped him."

Anakin sighed deeply and started pacing in the cell as I followed him closely with my eyes. "No." I mumbled as I realized the meaning behind his silence. "No, you can't be serious." Desperation was laced through my voice. "There were none? None at all that can confirm my story?"

He simply shook his head as a response. "There was a power shortage. They were all shut down."

"By the gods." I breathed out deeply, trying to control the rising panic. "He planned all of this."