Abducted

I walked home feeling more happy that I had felt that week. I was happy because there was finally enough money for new school clothes, and my friend just gave me a free lunch. Also, my teacher had a pizza party, and when no one was looking, I snuck another piece to take home on my 30 minute walk back home. The teacher understood my circumstances; I had 4 other siblings at home, we lived on an old house and money was scarce because we had to support our house first. I mean, I'm a girl and I have to share half of my bedroom with my 2 other sisters who are 4 and 6 years old. The four year old is Jamie, and the six year old is Anna. I try to do my homework in my room because that's the only place I have comfort in. I have a twin sized bed with a blanket Mama gave me for my 10th birthday; last year. Just then Anna screamed. "Sunny, Sunny, ya'll gotta come quick. Jamie ain't home yet from her day care and Mizz Angles was s'pose to drop her off." My twelve year old sister, Aubrey just came home. She glanced around at our worried faces, and said, "Mama, Sunny, Anna, Savannah...where's Jamie? Usually she comes up and hugs me..." Aubrey's voice trailed off and wobbled slightly.

"Honey, Mizz Angles didn't drop her off yet. Maybe she stuck in a traffic jam, or Jamie's just bein' slow. Ya know how she behaves." Mama acted like she was sure, but she knew Jamie didn't like Mizz Angles much, and Mizz Angles wanted to get rid of her as fast just as well. Sometimes when Mizz Angles was in a good mood, she would let Jamie stay a bit later if she took too long. But most of the days, she yelled at Jamie, coming home crying into Aubrey's chest.

An hour passed, then two. We all finished our homework just to get our minds off of our sister. Where was she? Mama called Mizz Angles' day care center but no one picked up. That's strange, Mama thought. Usually she picks up right away cause Mizz Angles is always ready to drop off the kids.  I fixed myself some popcorn and watched tv, not watching much of it anyway. Why does Mizz Angles bother to have a day care if she don't like kids at all? I wondered. Then another thought came to me. Mizz Angles was once caught for abducting a child and served 5 years in jail. Mama didn't know, but once when they were registering Jamie for day care last summer I peeked in Mizz Angles' profile when nobody looked. I saw her criminal records. I remembered. Mama didn't even know; she didn't bother with the background check stuff, all that mattered was that she got a cheap day care center for one of her daughters. How foolish, Mama! Who would ever know if Jamie would get abducted by a freak?!?!? 

Now it was time for dinner. It was quiet without Jamie singin her stinkin pre school songs, and it was bad enough our food was hard. But I didn't complain, ain't nobody complainin' here, we just want Jamie in the house. Mama called Mizz angles again, and then called her cell. Mizz Angles clearly threw a fit once when Mama called her cell. Mizz angles said it was only for emergencies, and this, is an emergency. 

"This person does not have a voicemail. Please your message after the beep. *BEEP!*" 

"Hi Miss Angles. I was wondering where Jamie is. I dropped her off at preschool today and ain't nobody drivin' her home. She ain't home right now, it's dinner time and Jamie knows better than to be out with YOU when its HER dinner time. Got her favorite food specially fixed tonight, hopin she'll return home. If ya'll know where she is, ya'll betta bring her to me, or there will be trouble." Mama clicked the OFF button and sighed, obviously worried that Jamie was lost, or abducted.

******PS check out the page italicied here: Abducted ( info) copy and paste that title in the SEARCH BOX and click the one that has an arctic fox picture. That has info bout the characters and where they're at in life.