so near yet so far

"No matter what happens, let him come to you. Don't confess first."

This was one of Mi-ok's advice to Deok-sun. And even though Deok-sun wasn't entirely sure that Jung Hwan liked her, she still wanted to believe.

As fate would have it, the flooring at Deok-sun's house needed fixing so her family didn't have a choice but to stay somewhere else until the repair is done.

"We'll have to stay at the owner's house for sure!" Her dad declared.

Deok-sun and No-eul shrieked in excitement, especially Deok-sun who definitely has another reason apart from sleeping in a comfortable house. She was confident that if she pushed Jung Hwan a little more, he'll confess to her. And being her usual self, she didn't need to try so hard.

Jung Hwan's mom prepared a special meal for everyone in their neighborhood. Since the Sungs were staying in their house, she figured it would be nice to welcome them with a good meal and with everyone around. The kids were settled at the table near the television while the parents were in the dining room.

"Where's Deok-sun?" Sun-woo asked No-eul.

"I think she went to borrow a comic book from Taek." No-eul answered.

Sun-woo and Dong-ryong took meaningful glances at each other. Jung Hwan on the other hand tried to keep his pace, worried that people might see beneath his eyes. He was having all sorts of thoughts, Taek could be kissing her right now after a sweet confession, or not, maybe Taek got cold feet, maybe...

"Anyeong everyone!" Deok-sun suddenly blurted out of the blue.

And what might sound like an animal screech for the other people around, all Jung Hwan heard was the voice of an angel. He was happy. He couldn't deny it. Deok-sun was here and she's not with Taek. And it doesn't look like something happened. Deok-sun seemed like her usual self. He was glad... but what about Taek?

He noticed Deok-sun kicked No-eul so he could give her his seat. What was that? Did Deok-sun want to sit beside him? Jung Hwan thought. But once again, he kept his pace.

Deok-sun was rather surprised that Jung Hwan didn't start to bicker with her. Usually, he would do something to annoy her, like pull her hair or call her ugly and such... he was awfully quiet beside her and she didn't like the feeling of it. So when Dong-ryong and Jung Hwan decided to hang out at Taek's and eat ramen, she immediately volunteered to come.

Taek was not around for baduk practice and Sun-woo had errands to do.  Deok-sun wished Dong-ryong wasn't here too.

"Omo! I just remembered. There's going to be a Lee Mon Sae concert this weekend!" Deok-sun announced happily. She knew Jung Hwan would go because he adores Lee Moon-sae.

"You both should go. You both love Lee Moon-sae." Dong-ryong said in-between his ramyun mukbang.

"I can't go. I have to be somewhere else on the weekend." Jung Hwan said in a tired voice.

"Wae? You like Lee Moon-sae!" Deok-sun almost shouted.

"Yes but I'm busy." Jung Hwan coldly answered.

Deok-sun was speechless. She could tell that something was definitely wrong with the way Jung Hwan acts. She stared at him as he stared back, never minding the chatty Dong-ryong.

"I'll just go to the comfort room." Jung Hwan excused himself.

Deok-sun was dumbfounded once again. What was that "Don't go. Don't go on that blind date." situation then? Was it nothing to him? Did he just say that because he was annoyed by her?

All these thoughts ran all day through Deok-sun's head but she just couldn't give up.

That night, when all the kids were gathered in the living room to watch TV, Deok-sun tried to sit beside Jung Hwan again. At first, she noticed how he moved a few inches to the other side so she followed and moved as well. But, as she was getting close to him, Jung Hwan suddenly stood up and went to his room.

This was it. Deok-sun had enough of his strange actions. She gathered her courage and followed Jung Hwan to his room.

"Yah! Why don't you ever knock?" Jung Hwan was startled.

"Are you really not going to the concert?" Deok-sun pleaded.

Jung Hwan only nodded.

"But why?" She asked again.

"I'm meeting with my friends." Jung Hwan answered.

"Which friends?" She was confused.

She knows every single friend of Jung Hwan and she's never heard of any plans for the weekend.

"You don't know them." He affirmed.

"So you have friends that I don't know of?" Deok-sun controlled the tears that were starting to form in her eyes.

"Yes. Mianhe. Maybe next time." He looked really cold and serious.

She didn't have a choice but to back out. She was sure Jung Hwan didn't want to talk to her any further. With a broken heart, Deok-sun rushed off and went outside.