21 | threatening strangers

Start from the beginning

All the doors in the house are closed, likely holding preoccupied couples.

"Does he have a girlfriend?" I ask, realising I'd never even thought about the possibility.

"Nah," Casey sits up, leaning his weight onto his elbows. "He's more of a mindless hookup type."

"Good to know," I retort, wishing I hadn't asked at all.

"Xavier's been delightful lately," I move on, sarcastically. "Keeps trying to manipulate me into helping them."

Casey shrugs, moving to sit up against the headboard. "Sorry about that. I've told them to go about it differently, but apparently what would a fourteen year old know".

I watch him closely, the way his eyes soften as he thinks about his brothers. "When all this is over," I begin suddenly, "would you want to come live with me?"

I don't know where the offer is coming from. I'd never even thought about asking him before. Suddenly, it's as though I need to protect him so badly against the forces in his own house, that I'd do anything to get him out.

His eyes widen and he grins. "Moving in together already? That's a big step."

I laugh, shaking my head. "You deserve a fresh start. You're different from them, Case."

He looks down at his duvet, picking at lint. "They're my family, though," he whispers. "I can't just leave."

"It's okay," I smile. "You don't have to give me an answer now. Or ever, really. Just know that if you ever want to get out of this lifestyle, my doors open."

He nods, smiling as he looks back up at me. A strand of his dark hair hangs in front of his eyes as he brushes it behind his ear. "Is this when we have our first kiss?"

I snort, laughing. "No. I don't think so, bud."

He stands up, grinning. "I'll try again soon," he admits, patting my shoulder. "I'm just gonna get some pizza. Hungry?"

"Oh, yes please," I smile. "Hey, have you ever seen Zootopia?"

Casey frowns in the doorway, the hallway light highlighting his soft features. "What? The kids movie with the talking animals?"

"Hey! It's the best movie ever!" I defend. "I'm making you watch it with me."

He rolls his eyes before closing the door behind him. I grin, reaching for his laptop on the nightstand. The door opens again quickly.

"Back so soon—"

My eyes land on an unknown figure in the doorway. The guy sways on his feet, blinking slowly as he adjusts to the room.

"I think you're in the wrong place, buddy," I say, opening Casey's laptop. "Run along now."

He begins to laugh, walking towards me in a slow stride. I look up from the laptop again, suddenly understanding the predatory nature of his gaze.

He hadn't found this room by accident. He'd seen me come in here.

"Casey will be back any second," I say truthfully, despite the trepidation in my voice.