Who's The boss

It was only a fifteen minute walk from the beach back to the cottage, but for some reason it felt much longer for Alison as she accompanied Paul Moratti, who was still unsteady on his feet, a grudgingly walked along beside her.

"Don't worry, you don't have to see me all the way back, I can manage, I am not going to try anything stupid, if that is what you are worried about" he informed her in an attempt to show he still had some sort of control, after the little incident down at the beach

"I am glad to hear that, but seeing I am going this way to get home, I might as well keep you company, just to make sure," Alison pointed out

He made no reply, but as they walked along, his blue eyes continue to dart little side wards belligerent glances in her direction, as if he still resented her presence.

If she noticed, she chose to ignore it.

When they finally reached his cottage, he discovered he had forgotten the key for the front door. He  had left it in the cottage, when he had decided to go for his little stroll.  Alison, felt justified that she had decided to see him to his front door 

"We have a spare key, so if you just wait here and I will go and fetch it," she told him, leaving him leaning against the bonnet of his car. He seem to accept this without protest, showing more interested in finishing off what little was left in his bottle of whiskey as she hurried away.

As Alison got back to her own Cottage and let herself in, she was slightly relieved when realised her Grandmother was still away, it saved time and explanations as she hurried over to the hook where the spare keys were hanging beside the hallway door. Snatching them, she turned to leave again.

On approaching Harvey's cottage she felt her heart palpitating as she noticed Paul wasn't standing where she had left him at his car. Her steps quickened and she tried not to panic as she opened the gate to the cottage, but then she heard Jake let out a  small gruff bark

She looked down, and noticed that Paul was hunkering on the ground beside the dog, preoccupied with letting Jake lap up the last little droplets from his whiskey bottle as he held it upside down for him.

Alison felt herself sag in relief, just glad he hadnt wandered off again.

 "Ok I got the keys, so lets get you inside" she then told him

"Yeah whatever, actually I was just getting reacquainted with your dog whilst I was waiting, and I think we are friends now" Paul replied in slurred tone, whilst Jake licked his hand, making him laugh and pat the dog on the head, "See? he likes me"

"I'm glad to see you have two are bonding," Alison replied trying hiding her amusement as she now helped Paul up on his feet again.

His earlier hostile mood seemed to have vanished, and thankfully he seemed a little more genial. It seemed Jake had managed to soften him up after all.

"Now we better get you in to the cottage, its freezing out here," she then said

She put the key in the lock and opened the door, then and switched on the light;

She gave a sharp intake of breath at the sight that met her eyes.

The place was a mess, empty beer tins and bottle's lay everywhere, there were newspapers and clothes scattered on the floor and over the sofa, and chairs. As well as dirty plates on the table and on the floor.

The house almost felt colder inside than it did outside.

Alison looked over towards the fire. It looked like there had been an unsuccessful attempt to light it, with a few sticks in the grate and some newspaper which were partially burnt.