chapter 2

Post

Log Out

Frisk heard the band’s first song end through the bathroom door and the applause that followed was deafening compared to the audience’s reaction when she sang for them.  She really couldn’t say she was jealous though.   She heard the men in the band were breathtakingly talented and their handsome looks didn’t hurt either with the female fans.  Plus when it all came down to it, Frisk knew they deserved more love than she did when it came to applause.  They clearly still had passion for their musical gift.  Frisk despised her ability to sing, so it was only right that the people who loved what they did should reap the rewards.  

As the audience quieted down, waiting impatiently for the jazz band’s next song to begin, it would have been at this very moment that Frisk could have screamed for help and the chances of somebody hearing her would have been good.

However, the wind and screams were knocked out of her as the huge skeleton slammed her against the wall.  But the brief pain and shortness of breath weren’t the only things that she felt.

Beyond the skeleton monster’s strong and merciless grip pinning her to the wall, Frisk felt something else on her body as well.  Something heavy and unpleasant that had centered itself on her chest, like some kind of an invisible weight.  For a moment Frisk thought he had terrified her so badly that she was having a heart attack.  

But just as quickly as that thought entered her mind, she dismissed it.  Yes her heart was beating a mile a second and yes the fear was clouding her thoughts, but aren’t heart attacks supposed to be painful?  Whatever was happening to her chest was uncomfortable, but it wasn’t painful.  It was unusual, but didn’t feel life-threatening.  The skeleton on the other hand felt quite life-threatening.  

She looked up at his face and gasped in shock.  His eye sockets were still pitch black, but there was a faint red smoke coming from his left socket.  It reminded her of the red smoke his cigars produced that curled into designs that almost looked like skullish patterns before they evaporated.  But that could have been just her imagination, mixed with the bad lighting of the nightclub.  

She gulped and tried to match his glare as best she could.  Like her dad said, if you show your fear, they’ll eat you alive in this city.  Of course this monster probably knew she was terrified, but she wasn’t going to give him anymore of her fear than she already had.  

So she capped a lid on it, tried to control her shaking and gave him her best “you better back the hell off me” look.  She knew it failed though.  You can’t really intimidate somebody who can look angry and keep a wide sharp-toothed smile on their face at the same time.  It made her wonder if he could even frown at all.  

He released her shoulders and Frisk tried to run, tried to move, tried to push him away, tried to do anything, but her body wouldn’t let her.  It was like she was frozen on the spot.  And that heavy invisible pressure on her chest seemed to increase in weight.