Chapter 15 : October 31st

Start from the beginning

He did not mention everything of course due to Harry still having major trust issues. And there was no way he would spill his secrets, even if it was his godfather. In classes, Harry was the best in his year. The teachers couldn't help but praise him for his talent. Ravenclaw was racking up points because of him.

Harry woke up on Halloween feeling depressed for it was the tenth anniversary of his parents' murder. But he tried to not let it affect him so the day went on and the last class was Charms. Professor Flitwick was teaching them the levitation charm.

"Now use the wand movement we have been practicing. The swish and flick. Now the incantation, Wengardium Leviosa" he said.

Harry as usual was able to get it on the first try getting another twenty points for Ravenclaw. Professor Flitwick saw Neville struggling. But it didn't seem right, as his movements were practically flawless. "Mr Longbottom can I see your wand?" he asked.

Neville nodded morosely and handed his wand to the half-goblin. When he looked at it, it seemed quite old. He pointed the wand at the feather and said, "Wingardium Leviosa"

The feather moved, but with difficulty. "Mr Longbottom, you have a mismatched wand. That's why your wand work isn't good. I'll inform your grandmother and Head of House about this. We shall be going to Diagon Ally next weekend to get you a new wand. Really, coming to Hogwarts without a wand that fits you! " he said and shook his head.

Before he could say anything else, Ron Weasley's feather exploded, while Hermione Granger was telling him what he did wrong in that condescending way of hers. Harry shook his head. The boy had been following him, trying to be his friend for the past two months, probably on the orders of Dumbledore. It was really becoming annoying. Granger, on the other hand, threw him filthy looks every time he did better than her. He really couldn't understand her. She seemed determined to beat him at everything, and that bossy attitude of hers when she spoke to others alienated her from the rest of her peers. She also seemed to worship the very ground Albus Dumbledore walked on as if he were Merlin himself. She kept telling anyone who would listen how the Daily Prophet must be lying, and that there was no way Dumbledore could do something like that. That was the reason Harry kept his distance from her. He had seen kids like her in primary school. They loved to impress the teachers and thought they knew it all, and believed everything people in authority told them. Harry was the exact opposite in that he didn't trust people in authority, with very few exceptions. After all, what had adults ever done for him?

After class, he returned to his room. Just as he passed the large window, he heard a rumble of thunder, an eagle's cry, a flash of lightning spread across the horizon and it started raining. Harry's eyes went wide. He knew what this signal meant. He transformed into his golden eagle form and flew off Ravenclaw tower. He concentrated on the bond he had with his familiar and few in that direction. Fifteen minutes of fast flying later, he was joined by a large thunderbird.

"Aquila what is it?" he asked his friend.

The bird replied telepathically "I sense danger little one. There is a plot by someone that will put your life and those around you in danger. Be careful Harry and I'll be around, just in case you need my help."

"Thanks for the warning, my friend. I will be careful, I promise" he said reassuring his best friend.

They spent the next few hours flying with each other as Harry filled the thunderbird on what had happened in the last two months. After that, he returned to his room via the open window and transformed. He cast a drying charm on himself and headed to the Great Hall. Dinner was proceeding normally. The storm caused by Aquila was still present as rain lashed against the windows. Everyone except Harry was laughing and enjoying themselves. But he was busy observing what was going on. An hour into the feast, Quirrell burst into the hall. "TROLL IN THE DUNGEON! TROLL IN THE DUNGEON! Thought you ought to know" he said and fainted right there.

The students started screaming. Dumbledore shot off a blast from his wand. The hall quietened. "Prefects, escort the students to their dormitories. Teachers will follow me to the Dungeons" he said in a calm voice.

"But isn't the Slytherin Common Room in the dungeons? And what if we run into the troll while on the way to our dormitories?" asked Harry loudly. Everyone turned to look at him, but he didn't care. Aquila had warned him, and he wasn't going to risk the lives of the entire student body just because of Dumbledore's stupidity. Some of the Slytherin students looked at him with grateful expressions on their faces.

"Quite right Mr Potter. All the students will remain in the Great Hall. Don't you agree Albus?" asked McGonagall.

Dumbledore looked miffed at being rebuked by a first year in front of the whole school but didn't voice it out loud. Just as the teachers were about to leave, another student spoke up.

"Professor McGonagall, Hermione Granger isn't here. She's in the second-floor bathroom because, ahm" said Parvati Patil, looking at Ron Weasley. McGonagall's lips thinned, as she figured it out. Weasley had probably insulted Granger. "Thank you for the warning, Miss Patil. I, along with a few teachers will find her and bring her here. The rest of you, do not leave the Great Hall" she said and all the teachers left. After a minute, Quirrell woke up and left the hall as well.

Harry's heart was hammering. Had they avoided the danger? The students were all strangely silent. Five minutes had passed, and suddenly, they heard a loud grunt and a bang on the door. A dent formed on the door of the Great Hall. People started screaming. Harry flicked his wand to his hand. It looked like Aquila was right. He got up and faced the door. Damn the incompetent staff! There were none present to protect the students. There was another bang. "Everybody get away from the door" shouted Harry. The students at the end of the hall scrambled and moved to the side of the hall. With another bang, the door burst open, revealing a twelve foot Mountain Troll. People started screaming. Harry immediately acted. If he couldn't stop it, maybe he could slow it down.

"Aguamenti" he shouted pointing his wand at the Troll's feet. The water jet streamed and hit its mark.

"Glacius" he said pointing his wand there again. A blast of freezing cold air impacted the troll's feet, freezing it to ice. The troll's feet were stuck. But unfortunately, his hands were still free.

The stroll snarled, took his club and broke one end of the Ravenclaw table. People were crying now and tried to get away. Harry was angry now. Was he the only one willing to face it head on?

"Sonorous. Whoever can perform the Blasting curse, target his head and chest and fire on my mark. Ready? NOW!" he shouted.

A dozen sixth and seventh-year students pointed their wands at the troll and together with Harry, shouted "CONFRINGO!" Several jets of orange light impacted the troll. The troll shrieked in pain as they tore through its flesh. But it was not done. It broke free of its icy confines and was about to pound a few students to death when Harry pointed his wand at the students and shouted "Protego". He pointed his wand at the troll's club and said "REDUCTO!" The club shattered into pieces, but Harry's shield protected the students from harm.

Before the troll could do any more damage, Harry decided to end it, damn the damage done to the Great Hall. "BOMBORDA MAXIMA" he shouted, pointing his wand to the troll. A jet of white light flew from his wand and impacted the troll's upper chest. The troll's head was blasted apart and the body itself flew backward and impacted the doorway and it lay there, dead.

Harry was breathing deeply. His hands and legs were shaking so badly that he collapsed on the floor. "Quietus" he whispered, pointing the wand at his throat. He had just returned the wand to his holster when he fainted due to magical exhaustion and knew no more.