Chapter 28: You Took This Broken Melody

Start from the beginning

"I-" Wilbur stutters, but then he's glancing below at their apartment, and at the fire that continues to climb. "We need to go."

"We can't go down," Techno murmurs, reaching around to grip Tommy's shoulder. Tommy can feel his fingers tremble.

"Where's Tubbo? Aunt Puffy? Did they make it out?" Tommy tugs at Wilbur's sleeve, panic rising in his chest. Tubbo and Puffy are five floors below. Their apartment already engulfed in the flames, but- but- they must have made it out. They must have.

"I don't know," Is all Wilbur can manage. The metal stairs they stand on creak. "We need to go."

"Where?" Techno's voice shakes.

The screaming continues below.

"We can-" Their brother wavers for a moment, floundering, before his eyes settle in determination. "We can jump. Over there," Wilbur gestures to railings opposite, where a neighbouring apartment stands. The flames have only begun to climb. They have time.

"Are you sure?" Techno questions, eyes rapidly darting between the flames below and then to his brothers and then to the gap between the apartments.

They could fall.

Tommy could fall.

"We don't have a choice. You go first, and then Tommy, and then me," Wilbur decides. His voice has settled with a firm edge, but Tommy can hear the tremors.

"You go first, I'll go last," Techno counters.

"Techno-"

"Wil, go first," Techno insists.

Wilbur looks like he's about to protest.

"We don't have time," Techno reminds, gently grasping his twin's shoulder.

Wilbur is silent for a moment before nodding, "Okay," and then he's gripping the metal bars of the stairs, and- and leaping over.

"Wilbur!" Tommy screams because his brother's fingers brush the railings and slip . Techno lets out a hitched inhale beside him but-

But-

It's okay.

Wilbur catches himself, barely, fingers scraping at the metal as he heaves himself up onto the other side.

Tommy exhales with relief as his brother pulls himself up, turning to face them, "I'm okay," Wilbur pants, visibly shaking. But- but he's okay.

"Come on, Tommy," Wilbur lets out a cough before outstretching his arms over the railings, "I'll catch you, it's okay. You have to hurry."

Tommy doesn't want to jump.

The screaming below hasn't stopped, and the embers are still climbing, trying to scorch anything they can touch. The air is too warm. Too, too warm.

"Tommy," Techno presses a palm to his back, "C'mon, Theseus."

Tommy's breath stutters and he lets out a stilted nod. He grips the metal railing of the stairs, feels the press of the cool metal beneath his palms and pulls himself over.

Wilbur's arms are still outstretched. His eyes are wide with panic, with apprehension, but Tommy can see he's trying to be brave, for Tommy. His brother lets out a smile that threatens to wobble, "I'll catch you," He promises, voice clear through the screaming below.

Tommy jumps.

He squeezes his eyes shut and feels himself fall.

He's going to die- he's-