chapter nine : unveiling

Start from the beginning

She shrugged and played with the decorations laid on her table, "You can't leave me alone in a room. In case you don't know, I have separation anxiety and I—" her voice cracked so she took a deep sigh, "I just want to stay glued on you all the damn time." she sheepishly said.

Ningguang wasn't aware with that but now that she knows, she's slowly digesting every bit of her in detail, "I guess that leaves me with no choice," she sighed and flattened the papers she wrinkled, "I'm letting you stay inside my office however you have to promise me that you'll stay quiet, understood?" she clarified with a stern tone.

The other wasn't paying attention but she still nodded a yes unknowingly, "Say, Ningguang? How's your company? And oh! Do you know who's the culprit behind the stolen gnosis?" she drowned her with questions.

She pursed her lips and gave her a warning look but she didn't seem to get it anyway so she basically answered her questions, "My company, yes, is doing perfectly fine now. The business is still at its peak and my name is still renowned as the richest entrepreneur in Teyvat," she trailed off with pride, "Apart from that, how did you know about the gnosis? Based from what I remember, I merely stated that it is a valuable and exquisite jewel." she rose a brow, now feeling odd with her.

Beidou felt a lump on her throat, "What do you mean? You told me it was a gnosis when we had our breakfast yesterday," she pointed out but the thought made her feel nervous, "Geez, Ning, your memory is getting terrible," she chuckled but her tensed look was too obvious that Ningguang had to scan and eye her carefully.

"If you say so since arguing with you technically eats my time." she glared behind her monitor and started typing aggressively, "Also, a table isn't a chair." she spat.

Of course, Beidou would want to get under her nerves, "Okay, is that seat taken?" she leaned towards her across the table and pointed at her lap with a smug look crossed on her face, "Ning, I'm asking if that seat is taken." she insisted.

Ningguang is clueless why on Teyvat is Beidou pointing at her lap, "You're referring on my lap?" she was skeptical at this point which made it even funnier, "I am lost perhaps give me context? You are currently sitting at my chair and why-" she dropped her sentence as soon as she gets her joke which made her cheeks burn.

Beidou started laughing while clutching her sides, "That flustered look on your face is the best. It never gets old." she charmed nonchalantly which was basically one of her few talents: spitting out flirty comments casually. Something that Ningguang lacks of since she isn't used to throw amorous words at someone else.

It was the silliest and most tempting joke she had ever received, "Beidou, you are being pointless and senseless," she spat while covering her face with a fan she immediately pulled from one of her cabinets, "A woman in the likes of you shouldn't be so kittenish. You need to have dignity at least." she cleared her throat afterwards as she feels a weird lump forming there.

Beidou rose a brow and looked at her blankly, "What do you mean have dignity? You don't know how many ladies I've pulled with my alluring words," she proudly remarked which rose a red flag; a player and a heartbreaker. But as soon as Beidou realized her joke went too far she immediately took it back, "Though I remain loyal for my dear La Signora." she added to at least fill in what's currently happening with her life. To be frank, her life is such a complex thing to understand and even Beidou, herself, gets confused how she's living her life. 

Her last sentence drained Ningguang's energy somehow. She suddenly lost the motivation to continue doing her work as soon as she hears the words she never ought to hear, "Your life looks as though it's some sort of a rubik's cube left abandoned, no one willing to solve it for you," she remarked bluntly, "Oh, apologies for my wrong choice of words. I may have sounded so insensitive. Please, inform me right away if I ever touch a spot." she massaged her temple to calm herself when she realized that her jealousy had driven her over.