» Happier Endings (The Oneshot) «

Start from the beginning

She rested her arm on his shoulder, eyes lidded and lips curved into a wide, wholesome smile. "You know it, brother of mine."

With his eyes closed into crescents, he released a sincere and bubbly laugh; one that wasn't so foreign anymore. Luz soon joined in, her laughs oh so infectious. Once they finished their handful of fits, they hummed simultaneously.

But before Hunter could say that they wanted to go watch more episodes of the human show Amphibia, Luz butted in.

"By the way, Eda said you're coming to school with me."

"What?!"

✧༝┉┉┉┉┉˚*❋ ❋ ❋*˚┉┉┉┉┉༝✧

They stood in front of the stairway, feeling a mix of terrified and excited. He clasped his hands together, pressing his lips in a straight line.

"Yeah, nope! No, I can't do this!" He exclaimed once he whirled around with his heel.

"Uh, no, you're going in there."

"But—Luz! The students, what if they hate me? What if I don't do well in school? What if I get bullied?!" Hunter argued.

"Hunter, they're not gonna hate you. Besides, the war was months ago. Maybe they've forgotten you were on Belos's side?" She attempted to reassure him with a shrug of her shoulders.

He shook his head slowly, hooking a finger under the neck of his dark grey sweater. Though they thought they looked quite nice in Hexside's uniform, that did nothing to ease their anxiety of the student's reactions. He just had to do it, he guessed.

"A-Alright. I trust you, Luz."

"Awesome!" She squealed, jumping forward to interlock their arms.

"So, do you know what track you're going to be joining?" Luz asked as she led them inside the school.

"I'm guessing Potions. It's the track with the least magic, so I guess it's a solid deal," They answered as they drew a magic circle in the air. Nothing happened, which was expected due to his lack of magic inheritance.

"Right, sorry."

"No, it's okay. Used to it," He assured her with a smile.

They continued down the halls and into Principal Bump's office. During the middle of their walk, they released the hold on each other after way too many questions relating to if they were a couple or not. Hunter obviously ignored them with a tight face, while Luz cleared out the confusion. They entered the office, the principal himself waiting to greet them at the door.

"Good day, Hunter Clawthorne. Luz, you are dismissed," He sat Hunter down on a seat while he shooed off Luz to her class.

"Hello, Principal Bump," They confidently acknowledged his presence. The aforementioned principal sat down on the opposite side of the desk, nodding politely at the greeting.

"So Hunter, you will be attending Hexside School of Magic and Demonics, yes?" He started reading a sheet of paper.

"That is correct,"

"What are your magical capabilities?"

He stiffened on his seat. "Uhm, Pardon?"

"Your capabilities revolving magic, do you have any?" Bump repeated, his eyes scanning their expression. Then his eyes returned to the paper, and when it did, his eyebrows raised questioningly. He met the awkward gaze that belonged to Hunter, humming.

"Do you know any magic, including or excluding actual spells?" The principal corrected himself.

"Y-Yes!" Hunter exclaimed, clearing his throat immediately after. "I can do basic glyphs, like the human, Luz," He insisted.

"Good," Bump nodded, changing the subject. "What track or tracks are you interested in taking?"

"Potions, sir," He earned a nod and another humm, a very brief response to Hunter's liking. Their eyes landed on their hands, scarred and scratching a small, fading bruise on his left wrist.

"Hunter, could you stand for a second?" And stand, Hunter did. But not before he accidentally tripped, causing him to stumble and chuckle sheepishly. His cheeks had a light hue due to embarrassment as he stood straight.

With a circular motion, Principal Bump turned the light grey of Hunter's uniform into a glowing yellow. Hunter stood in awe, his lips parted in surprise. They looked at Bump, receiving a small smile.

"You are dismissed, Hunter. Please enjoy your day and Hexside School. I'll be finishing up your file,"

"Okay," He said. "Enjoy your day, too, Principal Bump."

And with that, he left the office with excitement building in him. He scurried with quick feet, already knowing the place thanks to his former occupation. But when Hunter thought things were going as planned, he suddenly got quite the surprise.

He stumbled upon someone.