The Quarry - Part 5

They'd been cruising through hyperspace for several hours, and Versa had been silent for most of it. Din could feel her presence behind him, and he wasn't sure if it made him nervous or more at ease. It was just different. They hadn't spoken since they'd entered hyperspace, and he'd tried to minimize the number of times he looked over his shoulder at her. Sometimes she seemed to be asleep with her feet braced up against the wall, other times she was just staring out the front windows, deep in thought about something. When she finally did speak, he almost jumped out of his skin.

"Ask the question, Din."

"What?"

"You clearly have something on your mind, so whatever it is, go ahead and ask it."

He paused for a moment. "Why did you come back to my ship?"

"You were the safe bet. No one would suspect I'd go back to the ship of the guy that captured me. Plus, I didn't think you'd kick me out."

He huffed. "Bold of you."

"Yeah, well that's always been a word you used to describe me."

"Was I ever wrong?"

"Good point."

He couldn't decide how he felt about how easily they had fallen back in with each other, even after decades. It was easy talking with her, just as it had been when they were kids. She understood him in ways that no one ever had, even with his face hidden from her, and that gave him a warm feeling in his chest but also terrified him. It made him feel vulnerable, and that was something he always tried to avoid. It never seemed to end well.

"Let me ask you something," she said, interrupting his thoughts.

"Alright."

"What did you think when you found out that we were essentially raised in a cult?"

He turned his chair to face her. "How do you know I found out about the Children of the Watch?"

She shrugged. "I ran into Bo-Katan Kryze and her team on Trask a few times when I was chasing bounties, and they told me about how other Mandalorians lived and what the Children of the Watch were. The last time I saw her was a few days after you'd passed through. That was how I knew about your signet...and the kid."

"She didn't mention you."

"You were looking for Mandalorians. I'm not one."

"You were."

"No, Din. I never was."

Versa's stomach growled again. "I'm going to go down and find something to eat and drink. You want anything? I don't think I've seen you eat yet."

"I'm fine."

"You should eat, Din."

"I don't need mothering."

"Been a while since I heard that," she laughed.

"You really haven't changed much," he muttered.

"No, but you have." It wasn't meant as a jab, but it felt that way to Din. He didn't respond as she sat there for a few more moments before quietly exiting the cockpit and clamoring down the ladder.

---------------

She hadn't meant to hurt him. Surely Din knew he was different from the youngling she'd known. He used to be joyous and curious, and now he was cold and untrusting. Versa couldn't blame him. She only knew bits and pieces of what he'd gone through in swearing the creed and since that time, but from everything she'd heard from her bounty hunter colleagues, it would have been a lot for anyone to handle.