She-Cat Next Door

Start from the beginning

I even stopped in my tracks for a moment as I attempted to fight my grief. Before Lilypetal and I both lost her...

Lilypetal coming to me with that news had truly been the hardest thing I'd ever had to endure – the second hardest likely being when my old housefolk's dog, Millie, had done her business all over one of my favorite toys.

And around the same time that I had heard the news of my mother's death, I was also picking up many signs that my household were planning on returning to our old home far, very far from the lake, which meant that I'd have to leave Lilypetal and my mother's spirit for a long, long time. I never even let myself face the reality that it'd likely be for forever.

So I had decided to let my housefolk return to our old home on their own, and I ran away, fully committed to finding a new home that was close to my mother and my sister in the Twolegplace nearby. And thank gosh, my attempt to tell Lilypetal herself that had... somewhat succeeded when I had found her by accident near the ThunderClan forest.

And by "found"... I mean that she attacked me thinking that I was another cat that had been invading her Clan's territory.

But either way, I had been able to tell Lilypetal my plans, and she had been just as excited and joyed as I had hoped that she would be. We promised we'd see each other again soon, and we agreed that she'd need to bring her kits to meet me, but still... I thought, still glancing over my shoulder at the spot that my sister had disappeared. Gosh, I'm going to miss her so much!

I then began to slow my pace as I fell into my own thoughts. Perhaps if I... I began, my brain beginning to swirl with thoughts of what it would actually be like had I followed my sister and her patrol back into the forest, never to see a house or Twolegs again. Lilypetal had definitely attempted to convince me on more than one occasion since we'd met. I mean... would it be so bad? Lilypetal adjusted to it so easily! And she's there...

It only took me a moment to let out a snort, shake my head quickly, and speed up into a trot. Yes, it would be terrible. Lilypetal, and feeling Mistpelt's presence would be the only thing to keep me there, I told myself as the forest and the trees suddenly fell behind me. This is why you are doing what you are doing, Oreo.

I then paused for a moment, shaking out my fur as the Twolegplace came into sight. They're still both just a few pawsteps away, even here, I told myself excitedly once I had begun to move my paws again. You're getting the best of both worlds this way.

I then began to pad alongside the small, smooth stone Thunderpath that ran down the middle of the cluster of houses that loomed over me. You're in a win-win situation...

I then narrowed my eyes, beginning to scan my gaze around and focus on each individual structure for at least a few heartbeats as I walked. Having my catnip and eating it too...

I then stopped once again. Well, at least I will be once I actually find a place to live...

While I had passed by this Twolegplace on the way to Lilypetal's territory, that hadn't been nearly enough to give me an idea of just how ridiculously large this neighborhood was. Each house was fairly spaced out from the other, and they seemed to stretch infinitely on each side, and I could even see some of the twists and turns of the Thunderpath that likely led to even more houses.

I couldn't help but shake my head slowly at this sight. Right now, there really is no telling as to which of these houses is going to be the right fit for me.