Chapter 91 - A Masked Prince

Start from the beginning

Seraphina tightened her grip on the sword and recalled everything Merlene and her father had taught her. She could not make an effort to lose this battle as it binded two lives.

Billard took a leg before another as he took a position. His posture was perfect and it confirmed that Seraphina was going to fight the toughest battle in her life. Seraphina's eyes watched his movements as Merlene had taught her to always read the enemy's movements. Even small details could give much information on their next move.

"Come at me with full force otherwise you will be dead by the time my sword lands on you." Billard said and charged on her without even a warning. In an instant Seraphina countered his attack with her sword and growled, "You didn't even say when to start!"

The swords met with a clang and Seraphina felt her fingers were about to be ripped off from such force and the Crown Prince said, "Your enemies won't tell you when they will attack."

Billard swung the sword and it went for Seraphina's neck. But she sidestepped and avoided it by a few millimetres. Two threads of her red curls fell on the ground like autumn leaves as she huffed. It felt her energy drained by half already even when they just started. Just how strong were his attacks?

Billard didn't give her a chance to think or to have a short breath as he charged on her. His sword was larger and heavier than her yet she was finding it hard to see its movements. One moment the tip was just far from her and the next it was around her as if he wasn't swinging his sword, the sword just came at its own will.

She evaded again as their swords struck together with a crying clang. "You are avoiding my attacks!" He shouted.

It seemed he was indeed a great swordsman and the rumors about him were all true. She felt she would lose if he started to get serious.

She pointed the sword at him as she tried to read his movements but it was as if he was hiding his moves under decoys. It wasn't easy enough now with his deceiving moves, it was even tougher.

She found an opening and went into offensive as her sword tip was about to cut his chest but Billard easily took her attack and countered it as if it was nothing. Seraphina huffed and her body filled with tension. Sweat covered both her palms and forehead. What if she could not win against him? Was she always that weak?

He was a Dragonborn, of course he was far stronger than her. Her mind said it but she shook it away as it was an excuse.

'There is no excuse for a worthy opponent' is what Merlene used to say and yes, she was right. She could not make any excuses. She took a deep breath and calmed herself.

She was forgetting who she was. She was Seraphina Flameheart of Arctic Flames. She was trained by Jord Flameheart and Merlene, the youngest high tier wizard. How could she let their names go to the dust? She had been training and now just because her opponent was a bit powerful that didn't mean she had any excuses for that.

She let go of her emotions and worries and looked him in the eyes. Billard swung the sword as she held it with the tip of the sword and slid to the hilt to avoid getting her own sword flying away. The moment her sword hilt came closer, she twisted it which made Billard lose the grip on his sword and Seraphina yanked it away. The large sword went flying and thrust on the floor with a hard clang. All of their eyes went to the sword but Seraphina took the chance and put the tip of her sword just under Billard's chin as she heaved for air.

Master Valentine, Alonzo, Celia and the two guards, all were looking at Seraphina with round eyes popping out of their sockets but Billard wasn't surprised as he looked at her with a grim expression.

Their eyes moved toward Billard and the atmosphere filled with a thick silence.

Seraphina took away the sword and said, "Now I shall go."

She was about to leave when Billard said, "Wait!"

She looked at him with tense filled eyes.

Billard came closer, his face darkened and it made everyone who were present worry. "Be sure to make them taste hell or, I would be very displeased."

Seraphina looked around as Master Valentine released a sigh and nodded.

"My men are waiting for you at the back entrance as General Houjou might have placed his watch dogs around the whole castle walls." Billard said as he turned around, "I am certain Master Valentine had chosen the best men who could make you go through under their noses."

Seraphina looked at Master Valentine who was equally awestruck as her.

"Y-you knew, Your Highness?" Master Valentine asked.

"I am not that dumb, Master Valentine." Billard said as he turned to him and said, "I just didn't feel like questioning your moves."

He looked at Seraphina and said, "I don't care if she is a wizard or a Flame Queen. She is an important person for my brother and she became our family the moment my brother cloaked her." Billard smiled at her and this time his smile was genuine. There was no mask and it was from his heart, "I would never allow anyone to harm my family."

"I can't go but I see you have potential in yourself, Seraphina," the Crown Prince said, "Just don't die otherwise my brother would die as well."

She nodded as Prince Billard ordered the two guards behind him, "Take her to the back entrance and disguise her well."

The guards bowed and left as the led Seraphina to her destination.

As Seraphina left, Celia and Alonzo left as well, leaving Master Valentine and the Crown Prince.

Billard's eyes stayed on the way where Seraphina went and he asked, "Say, Master Valentine, will I be a good king?"

Master Valentine nodded, "Of course, your Highness. You have long surpassed your father already."

Corners of his lips curled up as he nodded and then the smile vanished as he asked, "Master Valentine, I'm afraid you have started to hide things from me."

"Err... It was because of necessity, Your Highness." Valentine scratched his chin as he averted his eyes from him, "But I promise, from now on, I would not hide anything."

Prince Billard nodded as he said, "Then why are you hiding the fact that Zenith had made those villains come into our castle?"