Chapter 1 - Promise

Let's put you in this sort of scenario...

You reconcile with your childhood friend a little over 15 years after because your mom is a hasty planner that doesn't ask for the consent of the people she drags into these scenarios...

Now... You're with that childhood friend of yours... In a café. It's not really that awkward because there are a bunch of other customers here as well but...

Something tells me she isn't exactly happy...

WHAT AM I SUPPOSED TO SAY?!

I HAVEN'T TALKED TO HER IN A WHILE! WE CAN'T JUST ACT ALL BUDDY BUDDY AGAIN LIKE WE USED TO?!

BUT I HAVE TO SAY SOMETHING.... OR ELSE!!

"Ummm.... How've you been....Hikawa-san..?" I said.

Fuck. I instinctively called her Hikawa-san because I don't know if it's okay to still call her Sayo-chin...

"Hikawa-san? If Hina was here, we wouldn't know who you'd be talking to!" She replied.

Something seem to have ticked her off.

"Anon-tan.... Just call me what you called me before..." She said.

CAN I REALLY JUST SAY THAT?!

Then, after taking a deep breath...

"Sayo-chin...?" I spoke out softly.

She gets flustered.

She slams the desk with her hand.

"O-On second thought! Forget that! Just call me Sayo!" She retaliated.

But she's the one that told me to call her that!!

.
.
.

"So tell me, how've you been for the past 15 years?" She asked me.

We're sitting down with some cake slices that I hand picked myself and tea.

"Well you see...." I said.

It wasn't anything special.

"Ever since we moved... I felt a little lonely really. New environment, new people, and new encounters. It didn't take me to find new friends but... It was still kind of difficult for me." I said.

"Oh? I thought you'd be kind of famous in class even." She replied.

"Even though it was me who met you under that tree that day.... I'm kind of a shy person myself. And I guess overtime... It kind of gotten bigger. I slowly enclosed myself on a space where I'm comfortable with..." I said.

Losing contact with Sayo and her little sister, Hina came as a shock to me.

I tried going out to meet and make new friends, but they weren't really all that friendly with me most of the time....

I did try asking my parents if I could call the Hikawa household but.... They said they couldn't find any contact that belongs to them...

They're great friends! How the heck do they not have any contact...

"So... You were lonely these past few years...?" She asked me.

"I wouldn't say I was lonely... I had a life online after all. Got to meet different people online!" I replied.

It may seem like a sad excuse but..... I really only went online for games... I made some friends in which I still talk to to this very day, but I mostly just go there to either play or watch anime.