07.

"HEY man. Good morning," jeff shook his head slightly, still trying to get rid if the tiredness from waking up a few minutes ago. Apollo gave a small nod of recognition, the circles under his eyes noticeably darker than they were, "did you sleep at all last night?"
"You needed someone to watch over you," his voice has returned to its usual tone and was staring into jeff's concerned eyes.
"I'm not having that, we have about an hour before work starts so you're going to sleep and when i wake you up you'll eat and start your trials," jeff quickly spoke his words, giving him a no-nonsense look, knowing he would be interrupted.
"You dont tell me what to do J." There it was.
"Doctors's orders. Now go to shucking sleep." There was a long pause and jeff struggled to keep his poker face on.
"Fine." Jeff gave a small smile of triumph before wiping it clean as Apollo pointed a finger in his face, "but don't boss me about again."
"Got it." He looked away and smiled again as Apollo rested his body in the same way he had hours prior.

When Apollo woke up, three quarters of an hour later, the sun had risen significantly higher than it was before he slept; the sky was painted in hues of light blues and green, clouds having gathered already.  Jeff handed him his plate of food as he looked around. He poked at it with a fork and, after deeming it looked unsuspicious, started to eat. God he loved meat.
"So um, "jeff spoke up from beside him, clearing his throat, "newt came by earlier and he-"
"Newt came by?" Apollo had perked up, seemingly interested and no longer looking at his food. Jeff looked at him in confusion. "Yeah, i just said that. Now if you'd let me finish!" He took a deep breathe before continuing, "he said that you're starting your trials with the med-jacks, so you'll get to spend all day with me!"
"Oo woopee doo!" His face held a vacant expression -as it always seemingly does- however, if you looked hard enough, you could see the slight upturn of his mouth.

——

Apollo felt no need to carry on the rest of the trials, he was good at being a medic (and although he would never admit it, he enjoyed jeff and Clint's company), however, that was not how it worked: he spent the next few days bored out of his mind, weeding out plants, banging nails into wood, slicing animals, making lunches and he was exhausted. He had vowed not to become a slopper, refusing to ever touch the filthy ness of the bathrooms. Everyday was pretty much the same: wake up (mostly in the tree), get ready for the day, eat breakfast, con plate that day's trial, have dinner sat with chuck and occasionally jeff and Clint (if they weren't too busy), avoid other people and go back to sleep.

He was relieved when it was time for the gathering. Nobody had told him when to get there so he stayed in his tree, watching people. Over the past couple of days he managed to profile lots of people, everyone he came in contact with during each of his trials he added to his memory, whether he knew their names or not he didnt care, he just felt the need to be aware who was locked in the glade with him. As he sat observing people, a blonde-haired boy walked over to him, he glared at him as he neared the tree but his pace never wavered.

"C'mon greenie, time for the gatherin'" newt shouted up, his hand rested on his hip as he put all of weight onto one leg. He was scowling, as he usually did when around Apollo, that is unless he was teasing him. Apollo jumped down from the tree, his knees bent slightly as to not break his legs from impact. "Fine. Let's go."
It was silent as they walked over to the falling-apart hut in which meetings took place. Apollo had noticed how newt walked with a limp yet he never asked why despite the curiosity that burns through his veins. He found himself unable to ask him, it was unordinary for Apollo and so he blamed it on his dislike for the boy. Honestly, you punch someone once and they hate you for eternity!

When walking into a building in the glade you must be prepared for the sudden cold that prickles your skin. He supposed it happened from the contrast between the blazing sun and the dark shelter of the building, the wooden walls blocking out most of the light.
To be honest, Apollo expected a lot more from the gathering than it actually was. When he walked in it was just the keepers, plus a couple more people, sat on chairs in a circle. "Ooh! Circle time! Got to be fair guys, i thought you'd all be sat on like- thrones or something and... where the hell is the butler?! And the cream tea? I'm disappointed, honestly." Clint, along with a few other people, snorted, trying to hold their laughter in. Beside him, newt just looked completely done with Apollo, something that brought a small smile to his face.
"Can we just start? Please?" Apollo looked over to his left, where the sound was coming from. It was a boy he hadn't met yet. East Asian, just above average height, muscular, broody, wearing a back-pack, watch and trainers. Something nobody else seemed to wear here. Oh and great hair.
"You're right, let's get started," Alby spoke up and any keeper who wasn't standing sat down, "who wants to go first?"

Winston, keeper of the slicers, put his hand up first. "Apollo was good at his trial, he wasn't bothered by the job and did it correctly. I'd be glad to have him." Winston sat back down in his chair once he had stopped speaking.
One by one, he was evaluated in his trials, mostly being told he would be able to take the job if he chose it. Until he got to gardening.

Newt stood up, leaning his weight onto his right leg and cleared his throat before speaking, "As some of you may know, zart has been ill the past couple of days so i have been filling in for him.Apollo isn't a great gardener. He uprooted plants and didn't treat existing ones well. However, nobody is a brilliant gardener at first and so, in the unlikely case he wishes to join us... he may be accepted." Apollo turned his head to hide his lopsided smirk at the begrudging tone newt spoke with.
"Apollo, with all the offers you've been given you are allowed to pick your job." Alby spoke up, turning all eyes onto the dark haired boy.
"Med-jacks." Apollo voiced his answer immediately, revelling in the shocked looks from the speed of his answer.
"You're sure?"
"Yeah."
"Okay... welcome to the glade, apollo the med-jack." Apollo felt a burst of pride when he heard the title he was given and fought the urge to stand up straighter (which was nearly impossible, I'm telling you, this guy has impeccable posture.)

As he exited the hut into the warmth of the night, an arm was flung over his shoulder. Apollo tensed and forced down the feeling of nausea before turning his head to see that it was jeff who's arm rested on him.
"We get to work together! Yay!" Jeff lifted his free arm above his head in a show of celebration.
"Yay!" Apollo mimicked, void of enthusiasm. Jeff looked over when he heard his name called, Clint was looking at him, signaling for him to come over. He unhooked his arm from apollo's body and patted him on the arm, "i gotta go, see you tomorrow friend!" He ran off towards Clint.
"We aren't friends!" Apollo yelled after him: his words held no distaste. And as he walked back over to his tree he felt eyes on him. His neck burning and his body felt as though a small breeze hit him. He didnt dare look back.

(A/n: so once again, it isn't a long chapter, I'm working on getting better on writing longer chapters, i promise. Anyway, i got back from holiday yesterday and my mum promised i could get my hair cut short like a stereotypical 'boys' haircut after!! Yayyyyyyyyyy.
Please eat and drink (preferably not coffee or monster. A real drink please.)