Chapter One: Fearless

The car came to a stop at the sheriff's station in Forks, Washington. I slapped the dashboard with my hand.

       "Since you don't know how to read a damn map, I'm going in here to find a cop to get me where I need to go!" I snapped at the driver. My mom could hire the dumbest people. I jumped out of the car, slammed the door shut, and rushed into the small building. There was a man with black hair at the front desk.

       "Can I help you?"

       "Yeah, my mom hired a driver to get me to my dad's house in La Push and the man can't find it. I haven't been here in years. Can you help us?"

          As soon as I finished my sentence, I heard a door slam and tires squeal. I looked out the front door and the car was gone, my luggage sitting on the steps.

     "Looks like your car left you," he laughed a little and I sighed.

        "Well, I guess I need a ride?" I looked at him hopefully. He smiled and stood.

      "Sure. Where exactly are you headed?"

      "Billy Black's house. That's my dad." The man looked surprised.

       "Well, I'll be... Billy told me he had an estranged daughter, but I didn't know she was coming back." He smiled and went outside, picking up my things and putting them in the backseat of a police cruiser. I climbed in the passenger seat, pulling my long brown curls into a ponytail.

      "So, how long has it been since you've been here? And what's your name again?"

       "My name is Nova Black. And I haven't been here since I was...three years old, maybe? I haven't seen my dad since then." I looked down at my knees.

      "Well, I'm Charlie. Me and Billy are good friends." He smiled warmly. We eventually passed through La Push and he showed me the high school and the stores. He parked in front of a small red house with a wheelchair ramp. I was confused.

       "Why is there a-?"

       "He's in a wheelchair, Nova... Has been for a few years now, since he and Jake's mom got into the accident..." Charlie got out of the car and grabbed my bags. I got out and followed him to the door, my hands shaking. He just walked in.

     "Billy! You here?" he yelled.

     "Be right there, Charlie!"

      "I brought someone with me!" There was a long silence, then a wheelchair rolled into the living room. My heart skipped a beat. He had changed; his hair was long now, he had gained weight, and he was stuck in this chair. Tears welled up in my eyes and he smiled.

       "Nova..."

       "Daddy!" I smiled and hugged him tight. He patted my back. The moment was ruined when someone ran through the front door. I turned and this boy stood there. He looked like my dad...and me. He had a huge smile on his face and he was really muscular.

        "Is that...?" I looked down at my dad and he nodded. Jacob had just been born when I was here last time and Rachel and Rebecca were several years older. I awkwardly walked over to him and he pulled me into a hug.

        "I'm Nova."

///

      Turns out, Billy had Jacob and some of his friends build a bedroom on to the side of the house. It was ordinary, but that's all I wanted. I wanted a normal life for once. Jacob wanted me to meet his friends that night, but honestly, I just wanted to rest. I would start school the next day.

///

       The next morning, I woke up bright and early. I pulled my long dark hair into a bun with a braid on the side and dressed in a short tank top with tassels hanging from the bottom, a pleated mini skirt with a bow on the waistband, and black sandals.

       I grabbed my bag and headed into the kitchen. Billy was there making coffee. I kissed his cheek and smiled.

-----------------------------------------------------------

Outfits for this chapter can be found on my polyvore page (kellymarler14)

the song for this chapter is Fearless by Taylor Swift.