Respite

The Hogwarts Express left early on Saturday morning, bringing students back home for Easter Break. Surprisingly, many students were electing to stay at the castle, perhaps out of a vain hope to meet Viktor Krum or ask out Fleur Delacour…or both. Others, such as Draco Nameless, had nowhere else to go. Still others, such as Ron, were staying at the castle for reasons unknown, even when the rest of his family was returning home over the holidays.

The train ride passed mostly in silence. They were in a compartment with Ginny, Neville, Luna, and Susan. Halfway through the journey back, Daphne joined them. Since the compartment was only built for six people, Harry had to 'grudgingly' allow Hermione to sit on his lap for the rest of the trip to make room for the newcomer.

Luna, too, seemed to be getting cosy with Neville. Harry and Hermione shared a knowing look when Luna fell asleep on Neville's shoulder, causing the boy to blush bright pink and squirm uncomfortably.

In the late afternoon, the train arrived back at Kings Cross and the students began disembarking. Harry, Hermione, and the five others were some of the last to get off, perhaps hoping to draw less attention to their large and rather odd group. By the time they got onto the platform, only a few families were waiting.

Cyril Greengrass was the first to meet the group. Next to him was an equally tall, raven-haired woman in stately robes that Harry supposed was his wife.

'Mister Potter, Madam Granger. Pleased to see you again,' he greeted, 'May I introduce you to my wife, Ariadne?'

Harry and Hermione turned to Daphne's mother, who shook their hands in turn. 'I have not had a chance to thank you,' she said. 'You have my sincerest gratitude for the service that you have rendered our family.'

'We were just doing our duty, Madam Greengrass,' Harry replied.

They bade goodbye to Daphne and made their way to Amelia Bones, Augusta Longbottom, and Mr and Mrs Weasley. Mrs Weasley pulled Ginny into a tight hug and Amelia did the same with Susan. Augusta greeted her grandson with a firm pat on the back and a look of high praise.

'Harry, Hermione, you must visit us some time,' Mrs Weasley gushed. 'I know you're staying with Sirius now, Harry, and you want to spend time with your parents Hermione, but we missed seeing you! Would you come over for dinner sometime over the holidays?'

'We'll try, Missus Weasley,' Harry promised, 'Sirius can bring both of us whenever we both have a night free.'

Mrs Weasley pulled Harry and Hermione each into a hug and gave them a peck on the cheek. Arthur shook their hands, while Fred and George pulled funny faces in the background.

'Are you going to give them your Triwizard winnings for their joke shop again?' Hermione asked in a whisper.

Harry chuckled. 'I have one better. How about we get Padfoot and Moony to invest in them on top of that?'

Hermione's face lit up. 'Padfoot would love that! And it'll give Moony something to do, too. We should speak to them over the holidays.'

Harry nodded as Augusta came up to him and Hermione to exchange a few words of greetings, thanking them for having faith in Neville and training him to finally realize his potential as a wizard and commenting favourably on their choices for the Potter representatives in the Wizengamot. Finally, it was Amelia's turn to greet them. As he and Hermione approached, Amelia drew her wand and cast a few privacy spells.

'I've seen the Prophet,' Harry said quietly when he stepped through the bubble of enchantments. 'You've been doing a wonderful job.'

Amelia smiled. 'Why, thank you, Harry. The Prophet doesn't report half of it, though.'