Eight

EIGHT

Sirens could be heard in the distance, coming fast.  Colton sat against the back tire of what was left of his truck, cradling Alexia in his arms.  Blood dripped down the side of her face from a cut above her eye.  Besides the cut on Alexia's head and some sore ribs on both their parts there weren't any other visible injuries.  Which was more then could be said for his truck.

            Alexia opened her dark eyes and groaned softly as she touched her fingertips to the sore part on her head.  Colton gently caught her hand and brought it back down against her chest before holding his bandana against the cut to stem the bleeding.

            "Help's coming.  How are you feeling?"

            "Just a headache," Alexia answered softly, testing each of her limbs to make sure.  "What happened?"

            Colton blew out a frustrated breath.  "Some idiot in a dark blue suburban ran us off the road.  I couldn't get a license number though."

            Alexia chuckled softly, but winced.  "A cop's never off duty," she whispered.

            He smiled and carefully shifted the bandana on her head.  "Guess you would know that well."  Alexia grimaced and closed her eyes against the jackhammer behind her eyes.  "Hold on, Lex.  Help's here."

            An ambulance stopped on the road, lights still flashing and siren blaring.  Alexia tensed as the siren cut through her.  She slowly started to relax once the paramedics shut off the siren, but left the lights on.  Colton watched as a man and woman in blue stepped out of the ambulance and moved to the back to get a stretcher and their bags.

            Colton continued to talk softly to Alexia.  He hoped that she would end up being okay.  She looked pale and ready to pass out again.  He would never forgive himself if she ended up being badly injured.  He reluctantly moved back to allow the paramedics to get to Alexia.

            He winced when Alexia whimpered softly as the medics got her stabilized and onto the stretcher.  They carried her back to the back of the ambulance and got her settled.  The female paramedic returned to Colton's side.

            "We're going to take her into Kalispell.  I think you should come as well and get yourself checked out while you're there."

            Colton nodded.  "Will she be alright?" he asked worriedly.

            "We think so.  We'll know more once we get to the hospital."

            Colton understood that perfectly.  He had visited enough friends in the hospital over the years to know what to expect.  The cowboy quietly followed the female medic to the back.  He climbed in and quickly moved to the front to be out of the way.  His heart sank when he saw that Alexia had either passed out or fallen asleep.

            Colton winced as a pretty nurse stuck a needle into his arm.  He wasn't about to make a sound though.  It was just a tiny needle after all.  The nurse set the empty needle on a metal tray before turning back to Colton.

            "So, what's the verdict?" he asked, rolling his sleeve back down.  "And give it to me straight."

            The nurse chuckled.  "All right, cowboy," she smiled, tugging his hat brim down.  "You'll survive.  A couple bruised ribs and you'll probably have a nice shiner in the morning.  Should be able to impress a couple girls."

            A slight flush colored his cheeks, but then he smiled.  "Well, that's good to hear.  And Alexia Ryan?  The girl that was with me?"