Memories #9

Just listen...

The voice whispered into my ears as I floated down the hall. The tips of my feet dragged along the spotless mirror-like surface below me. I could feel the cold slowly radiate into my body from it. 

Listen... 

The voice whispered to me again. I could barely make out a rhythm and melody echoing throughout the endless realm I was in. The edges of the song were just out of reach of my mind and ears. Like a dream you had forgotten. The sounds so familiar, yet unheard of. The rhythm, so alien, yet I could feel the familiarity within it. I tried to reach out, to listen more closely, but whenever I did, the music would retreat to a place just out of my grasp. 

Listen...

"I am." I whispered, "I am listening." I could feel something deep within me. Something otherworldly. A feeling which I had had before. A feeling so powerful it reached into my very being. 

A thought came to me in this dream-like state I was in. I had heard this melody before. But where? Where had I heard this beautiful composition before? The familiarity almost baffled me. But I had to voice my questions. 

"Where have I heard this before?" 

Ah...So, you recognize this melody then? I knew you would. Eventually. 

Dig deep into your mind. The answers are all within. 

"Why won't you just tell me?" 

Because if I were to tell you, you would not be able to find the other answers and memories you crave. I managed to find this melody embedded within your mind. Attached to it will be everything you want...

"So, I guess that's a no?"

The voice did not respond, but the melody became... clearer. It didn't become louder, no. But I could begin to brush the edges of the notes with my fingertips now. A spark followed down my finger and down my arm to my head. A stabbing sense of nostalgia. A longing to be... Home. 

"Home...?"

Yes... Home. 

"Home," I whispered back, "I'm a long way from home, aren't I?"

You are... closer than you think. Home is where it always has been. 

"That doesn't make any sense."

What is Home?

"Home is where I come from. Home is where I live." 

Home is where you felt you belonged. You should know that. This is your definition of Home. This is what Home meant to you

"My home has been gone for a long time now." 

It is... closer than you think.

What does that even mean? What did it mean closer than I think? I haven't been home in-

A very long time, yes. 

"So you're in my head too?" 

Where do you think I found this melody? 

The melody once again grew louder. I could now feel it in my palms. 

"What do you mean when you said Home was closer than I thought?" 

I meant exactly that. I did not hide a secret message within. Home has always been closer than you think. 

"My Home was destroyed a long time ago." 

No, where you lived was destroyed a long time ago. But Home has always been where you thought it was. You know where it is. You know. Time has tried to erase the memory from your mind, but it only succeeded in hiding it under years of other memories. The way Home is still there. Where Home is, everything is still there. Listen...

And so I began to listen. I could now feel the warm embrace of the melody on my body. A shape began to form within my mind. A single shape.

Yes, you are going in the right direction. Think. 

It was a...

"A face?" 

Yes. A single person. Yes, you are almost there. 

My mind raced as I tried to remember the name of the person who was no staring right at me. A name. That's all I needed. 

"Preservation."

Yes! That was her name, but what is her name now? 

"Pele..." 

The voice began to morph and change. I could begin to hear it change to the voice of a... woman. 

"Pele?" 

Yes, Traveller, it's me. 

I let out a laugh. 

Traveller, it's time to come Home. 

"Pele..."

Traveller... How long has it been? 

"Too long. Too damn long." 

Traveller, I miss you... I can't remember the last time you came to see me.

"You know it was to keep you safe."

Still? How long has it been, Traveller? How much longer must you run and hide, hoping you don't lead them to me? Traveller, please, it's time to come home.  

Emotion overtook me as I was flooded by grief. Tears began to roll down my face as I wept. 

"I can't." 

Why, Traveller, why? It has been so long. The danger has long since passed. Please. 

"I'm sorry, but my time hasn't come yet, and I'm afraid it may never come. I'm afraid... I'm afraid I can never go... Home." 

I was hoping you wouldn't say that. 

"I have to go. I have to go. I can't risk losing you. Not again." 

Not again. 

Not again.