Chapter Seven

Ron launched into the story of how they couldn't get through the barrier at King's Cross."We had no choice,Professor," he said, "we couldn't get to the train." "Why didn't you owl us? I believe you two have owls" Professor McGonagall said coldly to the twins.

The twins stared at her, jaws dropped. It would have been the most logical thing for them to have done at the time. "We...we didn't think of that" said Harry. "It would have been logical" said Violet, looking at her feet. "That," said Professor McGonagall, "is obvious."

There was a knock on the office door and Snape, looking the happiest anyone had ever seen, opened it quickly. There, in his long blue robes, stood the headmaster, Albus Dumbledore. Dumbledore stared down at them, and there was a long silence. Then Dumbledore said, "Please explain why you did this."

It would have been better if he had shouted. They hated the disappointment in his voice. For some reason, they were unable to look him in the eye, so they looked at his feet instead. "Professor, we tried to get into the barrier, but for some reason, it blocked itself. While Ron and Harry were thinking of what to do, I stupidly suggested that we fly the car to Hogwarts. So we got into the car and began flying. The car was invisible of course, but then it wasn't, then the car started to sputter and smoke and go bonkers. And that is how we crashed into that tree. Then, when we thought we were safe, it began to attack us. It smashed the car and the car drove away, so we were late for the ceremony" said Violet, taking a huge breath of air.

Dumbledore would know who the car belonged to, it was pretty obvious since Ron was fidgeting in his seat. Instead of yelling at them and sending them away, he just stood there with a disapproving look on his wrinkled old face.

"We'll just go pack our bags" said Harry, standing up and gesturing for Violet and Ron to follow him. "What do you mean by 'pack our bags'? You aren't going on a vacation, are you?" said McGonagall. Dumbledore chuckled and cleared his throat,immediately regaining his strict face.

"Well, you're expelling us, aren't you?" said Violet, a confused expression etched onto her face.
Harry and Ron looked quickly to Dumbledore.

"Not today Miss Potter," said Dumbledore. "But I must inform the three of you of the seriousness of what you have done. I will be writing to your families tonight. I must also warn you that if you do anything like this again, I will have no choice but to expel you. This is not favoritism and you will not see this kind of pity again."

Snape looked as though Christmas had been canceled. "Ahem, Professor, these boys have failed to follow the Decree for the Restriction of Underage Wizardry and caused serious damage to an old and valuable tree. Surely acts of this nature should be--"

"Punished? It will be for Professor McGonagall to decide on their punishments, Severus," said Dumbledore. "They are in her House and therefore they are her responsibility." He turned to Professor McGonagall. "I must go back to the feast Minerva, I'm sure that you can handle this. Severus, there's a delicious-looking custard tart that you should really try--"

Snape threw a glare at the three children as Dumbledore steered him out of his office, leaving them alone with Professor McGonagall , who was eyeing them like a peeved off tiger. "You'd better get to the hospital wing Weasley, you're bleeding."

"I'm fine," said Ron, wiping the cut over his left eye with his sleeve. "Professor I would like to see my sister get sorted if you d--" "The Sorting Ceremony is over, your sister is a Slytherin" said McGonagall.

Ron gasped.

"What!" he yelled. "She is a Gryffindor, calm down Weasley" she said quickly. That was her attempt of a joke?, thought Violet.

"Oh good" said Ron. "And speaking of Gryffindor--" Professor McGonagall snaped, but Harry cut in: "Professor, when we took the car term hadn't started, so...so Gryffindor shouldn't have points taken away from it...should it?" She gave them a piercing look, but her thin lips slanted just a bit so that it looked like she was almost slightly smiling. "I will not take any points from Gryffindor," she said. "However you will all get a detention."

This was all that the Potters wanted. As for Dumbledore writing to the Dursleys, that didn't matter at all. They would just be disappointed that they didn't get squashed by the Whomping Willow.

"You will stay in here and eat until the feast is over" said Professor McGonagall, conjuring up delicious grilled cheese sandwiches and cold pumpkin juice. Then she walked swiftly out of the room.