Chapter 16: Assets

Start from the beginning

"So this Prosperine lost to that Goddess?" Avy questioned.

"No. It was a draw, Prosperine, who was also from the Beastmen Kingdom was left in a very critical condition while in exchange, the Goddess could never show herself in this world ever again, she will be unable to be on her human form forever. But Prosperine, being the most prideful person who existed, didn't take the draw quite well, she killed herself, cursing the Goddess in her final moments. The wench ended up creating me and letting me suffer because of her petty little tantrum." Ares continued, his tone spitting venom as he speak.

"That means you're not once a human but a curse, forced to wander around watching people do shit and had no other choice but to take them before going to another. And you did that for hundreds of years? What a pitiful life you had." Avy stated, but not a hint of pity was present on her face. She went to her study table with a bunch of papers with drawings on it, scanning them and looking back at her curse servant every once in a while.

"Do you like black or red?" she asked.

"Re–"

"Yes. You'd look best in black." she cut him off making a nerve throb visibly on the man's temples.

"Why did you even bother to ask–"

"But you know. I have no idea how long I'm gonna stay in this world, so think of the time you'll spend while I'm here as your first walk after a long time of being inside a cage. You may be on a leash, but at least you have an owner now."

Ares looked at her with his reptile eyes, analyzing her every move like what he has been doing for the past centuries. He met a lot of people with her attitude, but only a few has the talent to back it up. He has been with Avy, ever since day one, same goes when this unknown soul who was pushed inside the body with the original owner slowly rotting away. He observed her every day, she did peculiar things, that even him, a mighty being couldn't fathom. It was like she came from a different world. Her personality is rather disrespectful too, not only to those lower than her, he concluded that her blunt logic doesn't discriminate, he liked that.

For such a long time, never has he seen her face when talking to someone. It was the first time. He thought he would be seeing a face he usually sees, those who think they could handle everything just because they gained power.

But no.

He knew this girl is superior. She made him think she's not below anyone, that alone is proof that she is no ordinary human. He once told her that he would willingly be her slave, but he was bluffing to outsmart her, but it seems like she's not the type to follow anyone. That statement, 'you now have an owner' is just an indication that she's establishing dominance. She's the master. And he's not, in any way, above her.

He was about to say something when somebody knocked on the door of Avy's room. It only took a day for the servants to take out her burned belongings and replace it with new ones, hence she was able to go back to her own cave that morning.

"Mi'lady? May I come in?" it was the voice of her personal servant, Mariel who seemed to be finished with the work she was tasked to do.

"Give me a second." she stated and looked at the man sitting carefree on the couch and if he has been living in that house for a long time.

"Why are you still here? Get the hell out..!" she whispered aggressively causing him to grunt before once again turning into smoke. It went towards Avy's hair and appeared as a small black snake ornament, going along with her pretty hairstyle.

"Come in." she said.

"I've relayed the request, Mi'lady. They said they will finish it as soon as possible." Mariel told her as she step inside the room and the first thing she noticed was her Lady's overall appearance. She was completely dressed nicely, even her hair was neatly tied up in a half ponytail, which was, of course, a surprise for her who has been the one who helps the lady every day.

"Mi'lady, did you do this yourself?" she asked in disbelief before roaming her eyes around the room expecting to see another maid who could've possibly helped Avy to prepare herself, but she saw no one.

"I don't have the patience to wait for you to come back and zip up my clothes." Avy cleared her throat as she lied smoothly. She can't possibly say that a snake man helped her while she was away.

"How about your neck and your arm?"

"Raux did it." Avy answered, there were only healers inside their Mansion since they can easily heal wounds with magic, and none of them can actually patch up wounds correctly, except, of course, the former assassin who works on his own and isn't capable of healing magic.

Strangely enough, only the cut on her hand was nowhere to be seen, she had to cover her neck and arm with bandages because the wounds she got from the attack were naturally, still there, like how they were supposed to be.

"I'm hungry so let's go." Avy told her and walked towards the door, that is when her little snake hair decoration caught the maid's attention.

'It... moved?'

~~~

"How is your stay here, Your Highness?" Lord Alcasser greeted the young Prince as soon as he entered the Dining Hall before sitting across Ciel who was already seated in front of the long table adjacent to his grandfather.

"Thank you for your concern, I was not uncomfortable in the slightest." Light answered politely. Of all the Arkwrights that he respects, the Former Duke might be the one he looks upon the most, even with his nasty temper, he never responds or acts rudely in front of the old man.

"I see. That's a relief. I hope you get along with my grandchildren well. Especially with Ciel, you are the same age after all." Lord Alcasser said. Each and everyone who knows the former Duke was well aware that he wasn't telling the Prince a request, rather, a command. He is not ignorant of the fact that the two youngsters that will carry the future of the Empire go after each other's throats from time to time, thus he wants to be the one to set them straight.

"They get along just fine, Grandpa. They even do their homework together." someone commented. They swerved their necks to the direction where the voice came from and saw the Young Lady entering the Hall followed by her personal maid.

"Right?" she sat next to Ciel, looking at him dead in the eye.

"Y-yes. We do our tasks together, Grandfather. There is nothing to worry about." the younger Arkwright sounded like he just forced the words out of his mouth, glancing at the Prince who just nodded his head in agreement.

"How are you feeling, Avy?" her grandfather asked, tone still as stern and ever.

"I feel fine now, I think I'll just leave the wounds to heal on their own. Since the so-called healing potion tastes disgusting anyways." she answered, muttering the last sentence under her breath.

"Is that so? I heard the beastman's herbal medicine can heal wounds quickly without leaving scars, and it would suit your tastes. I will take care of it." the old man reassured her as they all started eating the food prepared by the servants.

Avy's mouth slightly gaped open, she didn't expect him to hear those words since they had a considerable distance between them, and isn't he in his late sixties at the least?

"No. I mean, it's okay. You don't have to bother, I'm fine with the medicine, really." she quickly said. "And the Beastlands is really far away, I only have a few cuts and nothing serious."

"If you insist." she internally sighed and continued to eat her meal.

"Before I forgot, I will assign a knight to guard you from now on."

She almost spat the food in her mouth when she heard her grandfather's statement. She turned her head towards Lord Alcasser and saw a man in knight's attire standing a few steps to his left.

"This is Clerivan, the Knight Brigade Captain of Blackwell District. He will be in charge of your safety for the time being."

The Knight stood straight like a real soldier, he does look strong with those sturdy muscles visible in his clothes, but that wasn't the reason why Avy stared at him intently.

"It's the Knight you encountered when you sneaked out." she heard Ares' voice echoed inside her head which made her raise her brows and shift uncomfortably on her seat.

What a coincidence.

~~~