xxx. first days back

Start from the beginning

Which was also the reason why JJ had decided to drink that morning and why Juliet had decided to take a few more pills than usual. Just to get them both through the day, which also meant neither of them were really in any condition to drive to school. So Kiara had to pick them up, along with Pope.  

The four friends were then together when they arrived at school, Kiara pulling into a free parking space at the front of the building. Juliet hadn't really been paying attention to what the car had been passing on the way so she hadn't even noticed they'd arrived at school till Kiara passed a sign that spelt out 'Welcome Back Falcons'.

Kiara parked her car and the four Pogues got out, shutting the doors behind them. JJ had been sitting behind the drivers side, meaning he ended up standing next to Kiara after he got out of her car, meaning she was the one who noticed him drinking from his flask so early in the morning.

"Hey, chill out."

"If I black out, just don't remind me." JJ told her, screwing the lid back on and sliding the flask into his backpack.

"That's not funny." Kiara told him, frowning as she closed her door. Juliet and Pope had then joined the two on the other side of the car and they all started walking up towards the school. None of them could focus on much, hearing the whispering around them. Hearing everything that everyone was saying.

"It's them."

"I wasn't sure they'd even show up."

"I heard they got arrested."

"That wouldn't surprise me."

"You think they have something to do with it?"

"They had to."

It wasn't nice to hear, at all. Juliet had to stop herself from crying on the spot or screaming at everyone. She wanted to do something but she knew making a scene would only make things worse.

Then the Pogues had spotted something they had never seen before that was sitting outside on the grass. A memorial of sorts for John B. His name was written out on a surfboard that was leaning against a rock and there had been pictures of him covering it. The four approached it slowly, noticing all the pictures of their friend.

Juliet had stood the closest, crouching down to see the pictures more clearly. A smile made its way into her face when she spotted one that had been taken at a football game, a picture of her, JJ, John B, Pope and a few others from their grade. John B had a huge grin on his face as he stood with his arms wrapped around Pope and Juliet's shoulders. Someone else in the picture must have placed it there. They all looked so happy and Juliet could barely remember the feeling of joy she got being around all of her friends. She had barely felt it all summer, even when John B was still with them. Something else was always going on.

After Juliet had looked over all of the photos, she had stood back up straight and backed up till she was standing beside JJ again. "I feel like people are staring at us." Kiara had then said, feeling hundreds of eyes on her in that moment.

"They definitely are." Juliet replied. Everyone was staring at them. But Juliet couldn't blame them, she too would be staring. The friends of the boy who shot the Sheriff.

Then before anyone could add to Juliet's answer, Pope had begun to walk off. "Guys, I can't be late." He'd said, walking away from his friends. He couldn't stand there looking at pictures of John B while people were staring at them like they were the ones who had shot the Sheriff.

"Hey. Hey. We gotta stick together." Kiara had called after Pope, making him stop and turn back around. He stared back at Kiara, who was holding her hand out for him to take. Which he did.