Chapter 9: Never Say Goodbye

Comincia dall'inizio

“No,” Oliver said, climbing back into bed. “That was one of my vice presidents.”

“And . . . ?” Clark questioned.

“And I have to go back to Star City,” Oliver sighed, “Business emergency . . . they need me.”

“When do you have to leave?” Clark asked, trying to remain calm, even though his heart was breaking.

“As soon as possible,” Oliver replied. “I don’t want to go.”

“It doesn’t seem as if you have a choice.” Clark responded mildly.

Oliver sat up. “It’s not fair,” he said, “I just found you. How is it possible that I have to leave you already?” He looked deep into Clark’s eyes. “I’m not ready to say goodbye.”

“Then don’t." Clark said simply.

“What do you mean?” Oliver asked. His eyes lit up. “You can come with me!”

“No, I can’t.” Clark said, shaking his head. The light was gone.

“But you said we are not going to say goodbye.” Oliver whispered.

“We’re not." Clark said. “We shouldn’t say goodbye. Saying goodbye removes the possibility that we’ll see each other again.”

“You think if I leave, we’ll see each other again?” Oliver asked.

“I think that we’re not through yet.” Clark told him, “We’re going to see each other again. When that is, I’m not sure.”

“So don’t say goodbye?” Oliver asked.

“Never say goodbye." Clark confirmed.

“I can live with that.” Oliver said, with a grin.

“So you have to go now?” Clark asked. He was trying to be mature about the whole situation but he hated every minute of it.

“Not for a few hours.” Oliver said.

“Then what are we sitting around here for?” Clark asked suggestively. “I think we should make the most of our time, don’t you?” A wicked smile spread across Oliver’s face. Oliver got up and straddled Clark's thighs while putting his arms around Clark's neck.

“I definitely agree.” Oliver purred seductively. Then Oliver’s lips were on Clark’s again. Words were not spoken again for a while, both determined to maximize the hours they had left together.

But time flew and soon, they were both standing by the door. Oliver ready to go to Star City, and Clark headed back to his hotel.

“Can I drop you at your hotel?” Oliver asked.

“No, I’ll be fine.” Clark said.

Seeing Clark’s expression and realizing how stubborn he was, Oliver quickly relented.

“Okay.” Oliver said. He reached into his pocket and pulled out a piece of paper. He handed it to Clark, who looked at it confused.

“I know you have faith in the fates or whatever,” Oliver said, “But that’s my contact information. My e-mail address and phone number. I’m hoping you’ll use it.”

Clark beamed. “I will definitely use it.” They stepped into the elevator and a minute later, they were on the ground.

After sharing one last kiss, they prepared to go their separate ways.