He'd written a note and planned to leave it on the kitchen table before he left. He had to act natural and go home, but the others would be by to pick him up around two in the morning and they'd start their journey. They all planned on taking turns sleeping in the car so that they could drive, and possibly spend the night in a motel for one of the nights.

They got to the small party and they were all bombarded with congratulations from their parents and hugs. Of course, Bev's dad didn't make an appearance and Eddie's mom stayed on the porch, but the rest of them were all celebratory and proud of their kids.

"You didn't tell us you were giving a speech," Sharon Denbrough said to Richie when she hugged him. "Had I known, I would've left Georgie at home."

Georgie, Bill's little brother, was only a few feet away and huffed. "Mom, I'm fourteen! I can listen to a few curse words!"

"She doesn't want me to contaminate you, little man," Richie teased, ruffling Georgie's hair.

"Agh! I'm taller than Eddie!"

Eddie glared from beside Richie. "It's not my fault that you and Bill are mountain trolls! And I'm, like, 5'7! That's average!"

"Compared to me, you're all short," Richie deadpanned looking at his valedictorian medal. "Well, except for Mike and Stan. They're both as tall as me."

"Are you guys really arguing about your height?" Bev asked, bringing both Richie and Eddie cups of lemonade. "How old are you?"

"I'm emotionally eighteen, but Richie's still ten."

Richie held up his medal. "Could a ten year old win this?"

"Oh, shut up. You're so annoying."

"Love you too, Eds."

The party went on for a couple hours before Eddie's mom called him over and said it was time to go. Eddie hugged his friend and whispered small promises of 'see you later' before he got into his mom's car and rode home with her.

"I cannot believe that Richard's parents are proud of him!" she scowled as she drove down the street, many of the homes crowded with cars as they celebrated the seniors and their graduations. "That boy is going nowhere with his disrespectful attitude!"

Eddie shrugged as he looked out the window. "He's my best friend."

"He's a horrible influence on you."

"No, he's not."

Sonia rolled her eyes as she pulled into their driveway. "You were much more polite and proper before you started spending every day after school with that boy."

"So I was polite and proper up until fourth grade?"

"Don't be like this, Eddie." Sonia got out of the car awkwardly, trying to stabilize herself. "Now, you're going to Derry's community college, so you need to go down there to figure out registration. Have you considered Mr. Keene's offer?"

Eddie unlocked the door to the house. "I graduated three hours ago. Can I please have one night to rest before I start to think about being an adult?"

A blunt lie; he already had everything figured out and had a plan for how to get a job when he got over to Portland. He'd been working odd jobs since the beginning of high school; the losers all had. That's where the money was coming from, and they all had plans for school and a few had formulated plans for work when they got there.

"Watch your tone, Eddie," Sonia ordered, sitting down in her recliner. "Tomorrow you are going to go tell Mr. Keene that you are taking the job."

Eddie cringed at the idea of working for that gross predator; especially since his bitch of a daughter worked there too. He still didn't forgive her for writing "loser" on his cast when he broke his arm in eighth grade.

Plus, she was evil to Bev all through high school.

"Fine. Whatever," Eddie said, but before he went upstairs he stopped at the stairwell. "I love you, mom."

Sonia seems surprised but she smiled. "I love you too, Eddie."

He smiled and went upstairs and got into bed. Even though his mom had made his childhood difficult and did not raised him in the most supportive environment, he would feel bad about leaving without her knowing.

She may call the police, but it wouldn't go anywhere; he was a legal adult and couldn't be forced to go back to Derry.

His phone dinged and he looked at his messages.

Richie: are you going to bed ? get a goodnight sleep bb boy 😩

Eddie: go fuck yourself 🥰

Richie: you're the last one we're picking up tonight and if you don't wake up i'm going to break into your room

Richie: maybe give mrs k one last kiss

Eddie: you're my thirteenth reason why

Richie: that show was trash

Eddie: Bev made me watch it when you were out of town last year

Richie: meh no excuse. go to bed eduardo so you're not in a bitch mood when we start driving. you're a goblin when you're tired

Eddie: goodnight Richie

Eddie couldn't help the small smile that came to his lips when he put his phone down. It was early in the evening, but he needed to get up, pack his small backpack, and get on the road. Plus, Richie wasn't wrong.

When he was tired, Eddie was the worst.

He glanced at the clock.

9:45 pm

Three and half hours of sleep was a good nap when they got on the road. That way they could stay up when Ben started on the road.

Eddie smiled and closed his eyes.

Within the next week he would be in their new apartment, job searching, and he'd soon be starting his young adult life. A life with his friends, the ones he loved the most in the world.