Morning Glow

A soft morning glow fell across Seymour's face, gently pulling him out of sleep. Opening his eyes, he breathed in the sweet smell of morning. His wife, Audrey — who lay still asleep, nestled in his embrace — liked to keep a window open at night, letting the dew-soaked scents of morning awaken them. He closed his eyes again, resting in a bliss free from blood-thirsty plants, sadistic dentists, temperamental bosses, and the noisy bustle of his city-life on Skid Row.

A slight stir from Audrey brought him out of his reverie. He smiled as she let out a contented sigh. Seeing her finally safe and happy gave him a feeling just as warm as the sun across his face.

"G'mornin' sweet pea," he whispered, nuzzling his nose behind her ear. She giggled at this, a sound that tinkled musically like bells. She snuggled closer, making Seymour's heart skip a beat.

"Good mornin','' Audrey untucked her head and smiled up at him. Seymour kissed her forehead softly, tightening his embrace as Audrey moved even closer. Seymour felt his heart flutter again as she drew her leg up, hooking it around his. Though they'd been married for a few months now, intimacy was new to him and still made him slightly nervous. Nonetheless, he allowed himself to relax and kissed her forehead again, this time letting it linger. A smile played at Audrey's lips and she closed her eyes again.

"Somebody doesn't want to get out of bed, do they?" he laughed softly, breathing in Audrey's sweet scent of lavender and apple blossoms. Her soft blonde hair lay swept across her jawline. She'd started only putting it up in rollers every other night, allowing for a looser, more natural curl.

"Just a few more minutes?" Audrey tilted her face up with a playful pout.

"Just a few," he said, placing a chaste kiss on her lips. But before he knew it, Audrey had snaked her arms up around his neck, pulling him deeper into the kiss and on top of her.

"I love you, Seymour," Audrey whispered into his lips.

"I love you more," Seymour said, kissing her again.

"I love you most," she replied, slowly unhooking each of the buttons on Seymour's nightshirt.

A few minutes passed, then another few, and then another. As curtains began to rise and coffee began to brew in the other houses in the neighborhood, the Krelborn's curtains stayed closed for a little longer than normal and the coffee was put on a little later than most mornings. But the couple didn't mind at all. . .