Billie Dean Howard x Reader - You can't escape my affection

Start from the beginning

Getting ready took you a little longer today, making sure to put on an outfit that Billie had bought for you, her insisting on taking you shopping and spoiling you that day. You decided on an overall dress, in the end, a turtle neck underneath and some boots, as it was simultaneously chic and suitable for work. After you curled your eyelashes and fixed your hair, you made your way out of the front door, shivering a little as the cool morning air caused goosebumps to rise on your skin. As you made your way to work, you pushed the uncomfortable thoughts away in an effort to stop the overthinking and even the small possibility of Billie forgetting the special occasion today.

"Happy Birthday to you, Happy Birthday to you, Happy Birthday dear Y/N." The shrill voices blared through the break room of your workplace, your coworkers smiling brightly as they sang the little tune.

As you stood there a little awkwardly, never really knowing what to do or how to react in these situations, you tried to muster a smile and pretend to enjoy it and be happy. Although deep down it looked different, part of you didn't want to be here today, rather spending the day with your soulmate. The confusion and frustration at the possibility of Billie forgetting your birthday only added to your state.

"Now I didn't have time to bake but I hope you enjoy these anyway" your co-worker admitted as they walked towards you with a tray of cupcakes.

You smiled this time, the gesture too heartwarming to be ignored. Everyone looked at you in anticipation, expecting some kind of speech or some words exchanged. You simply approached them, handing out the cupcakes and mumbling a few 'thank you's' here and there, wanting this day to be over and done with already.

Your coworkers and boss stood around the break room, chatting until eventually, it was time to get back to work. Normally, this wouldn't be pleasant, quite the opposite actually, work could be quite exhausting most of the time, but today, all you wanted to do was return to your bed and conceal yourself in it. Having been congratulated personally by the last person, you were finally able to go back to work.

As you sat near the windows, you realised today must have been one of those days, during which the sun had completely disappeared, the sky had filled with clouds, and showers of rain had been falling. The feeling of cold and discomfort in the air today matched your mood, increasing as each minute passed.

Throughout the day, however, there were little glimpses of hope, as if the sun decided to shine through the clouds filled with rain for you. Billie had messaged you a few times, her usual texts, checking in on you, and even a selfie. As you opened it during your lunch break, a bright smile made its way onto your features, you saw the hem of her floral dress, one of your favourite pieces she owned. Whenever you got a glimpse of your girlfriend, even a simple photo, it always managed to take your breath away. Billie was a goddess, the mere sight of her being able to turn the darkest days into the brightest ones. You felt blessed, being loved by the blonde, feeling her touch on your skin, seeing her eyes locking with yours, and having her hands intertwined with yours.

The day had gone by slowly, repeatedly checking the time and you were almost excited when noticing your shift had finally finished about a minute ago. As you cleaned up and took your bag, you exited the building with the same co-worker that had brought in the cupcakes for you today.

"Thank you again, for the cupcakes." You explained, feeling the need to express your gratitude once again.

She smiled at you before asking "Do you have any plans after work, going partying?".

It felt impossible to force a smile but somehow you did before making up something.

"Yeah, just a little something, you know."