Chapter Four

It had been about a week since they started combining sessions, and George still despised every second of it. Yet here he was, raising his hand to knock on Sapnap's door alone.

His tutor gave them a small project to work on the day before, and since she wasn't able to work with them today, it was his responsibility to walk over to Sapnap's house and work more on the project.

He considered faking sick so he could turn around and go home, but he knew his tutor would be disappointed in him and Ari wouldn't fall for it. Before he could make his final decision, the door swung open.

"Sorry if I kept you waiting!  I was helping my brother find a show to watch and forgot you were supposed to be here," Sapnap chuckled and moved aside to let him in.

Slight guilt crept up his spine, but he ignored it and walked into the house. He was relieved to find their work from yesterday still scattered across the table.

"You understand what we're doing, right?" George asked as he set his bag aside.

"Probably." Sapnap reached for one of the square pieces with a problem on it and copied it to a separate paper.

George grabbed another sheet and started comparing their answers to see what letters they correspond to. He refused to say it out loud, but they made a quick-working pair.

Much to his annoyance, Sapnap tried to make small talk while they worked. There was no window for him to shut this time, so instead, he kept his responses as short and vague as possible. Eventually, it seemed like Sapnap gave up and a silence fell over the two.

At first, he appreciated the quiet, but soon, he couldn't help but feel uncomfortable. The air quickly grew heavy, at least to him. Normally, he had headphones or left the TV on while he worked. Finally, it became too much and he spoke up.

"Do you have a speaker or something?"

Sapnap's eyes lit up. "Yeah! I can go get it if you want."

"Sure."

The way Sapnap jumped up the stairs reminded him of an excited child. He sat back in his chair and let out a sigh of relief.

As quick as Sapnap went up the stairs, he came back down them, the speaker in hand. He connected his phone and set both items on the counter.

The moment the first song played, George recognized it as one of his favorites. It took a lot of his willpower not to sing along, but Sapnap didn't hesitate. He started humming, which threw George off.

Instead of being rude, George bit his tongue and tried to focus on the task at hand. Despite his efforts, the annoyance was replaced by interest as he listened to Sapnap sing. His voice was soft, yet smooth, which was different from his normal loud and bubbly voice.

The speaker wasn't very loud, but he still had to strain his ears to hear him over it. For a second, he wanted Sapnap to sing a little louder so he could hear him better, but that thought was quickly shoved aside.

"He has a nice voice."

"You think so?"

George stared at him blankly. "What."

"You said I have a nice voice," Sapnap smirked.

Heat rose in George's cheeks. "Did not. You're hearing things," He argued, forcing his gaze to the table.

"Whatever you say!" His singsong voice aggravated George, but he stayed silent.

After he deemed it safe to look up, his eyes flickered to Sapnap, who was looking down at his paper with a small smile stretched across his lips.