the funeral

The December moon came quickly after my grandparent's death

With the large drop in temperature, Remus's condition only worsened until the week of the moon when he was no more than a shell of his usual self.

He spent most mornings sleeping in, only coming out for food and then returning to our bed for the rest of the day.

This meant, of course, that I was doing much of the same.

I would get out of bed before him each morning to set up some sort of breakfast for him, usually with much oversight from James, and then I'd force him up for lunch and dinner.

I didn't mind, though. Laying in bed with Remus's head on my chest actually proved quite peaceful, and it gave me a lot of time to work through my grandmother's journal.

By the time the moon was full, I had made it through nearly a year of entries.

"Do you have an extra pair of sweatpants?" I asked that afternoon.

Remus and I were in our room, and I was laying backwards on our bed as he prepared for the evening. He sorted through the small bag he had packed and nodded.

"And a jumper, too? It's December, Rem."

"Yes, I have a jumper," Remus grinned, teasing my English vocabulary again. I rolled my eyes.

"I'm not joking!" I cried. "One of these days you're going to get hypothermia because you think you're too macho for a sweatshirt."

Remus chuckled and peered his head overtop of mine. He kissed me quickly upside down and then moved around to sit beside me. I slid upright to face him.

"I have everything," he promised.

"Okay," I said, narrowing my eyes at him doubtfully. Remus laughed.

"I'll see you in the morning," he said. "Get some sleep, okay?"

"No chance," I replied, kissing him quickly before he walked through the door to meet James, Sirius, and Peter.

I threw myself back onto the bed and picked up the blue book, running my fingers along the smooth surface before pulling it open to the marked page and slipping the small silk bookmark out of the way.

June 15, 1965

Lou finished installing the pool yesterday, and Syd and Theo have not come away from the water since. I told them that they are not to go in until we've finished with the chlorine, but it doesn't seem to matter.

They're both sitting criss cross on the pavement right now, just talking to each other and occasionally dipping in a finger.

Based on the books I've read, the transition into a merperson is slow, so I doubt that they would just instantly sprout a tail, but I'm still so afraid every time I put them in for a bath or take them out in the rain.