The Prophecy Comes True

A/N PLEASE DON'T CANCEL ME YOU GUYS IT GETS BETTER I PROMISE

Aru was still staring at the place where Kara had disappeared, her face blank. Aiden wasn't sure she was still breathing. "Shah," he said gently.

She looked at him. Her eyes were dull, filled with none of their usual fire. "Why?" she whispered, her voice cracking. "Why did it have to be her?"

"This is...regrettable." The Sleeper sounded stunned. Probably no one had betrayed him since Krithika Shah. He shook his head. "I'd hoped you would see reason, Aru."

Aiden glared at her father. "For conquering the Otherworld? No thanks."

"Giving the devas their dues," the Sleeper corrected, studying Aiden. "You saw how they cast out your mother when she married a mortal who rejected her in the end."

"Don't talk about my mom like that!" Aiden shouted. How had the Sleeper known about Aiden's doubt that he was fighting for the wrong side? The only answer was that he was excellent at manipulating people. Exhibit A: Kara. Hopefully there wouldn't be any more. He started to lunge at the Sleeper.

"Stop."

Aru's voice wasn't loud, but it made both of them pause. She lifted her head, holding Vajra out like a quarterstaff. "Surrender, Dad. I don't want to do this."

"But there's an easy way to fix it," the Sleeper said, his words smooth and deep. "All you have to do is give yourself up to me. I will spare your friends, your mother..." His gaze flicked to Aiden distastefully. "Even him."

"What if we come to an agreement?" Aru said. "If you come in peace, I won't force you to."

He looked startled, and then he laughed. "Ah, I've forgotten your sense of humor, Aru."

Shadows crept up from the floor and began to wrap around Aiden's legs, rendering him unable to move. He struggled, to no avail.

"Let him go!" Aru shouted, turning on her father.

"You've been fighting for the wrong side all along, Aru. There are no heroes and villains. There are only victims."

"We've already been through this. I won't join you. Why waste your time on me?"

"Because I love you, my daughter."

"Don't listen to him!" Aiden shouted. "He's--"

The Sleeper waved a hand. Darkness formed a hand over his mouth. He glared at the Sleeper. Maybe he could get one of his sword hands, free, and then...

A blade made of shadows materialized at his chest.

"Do you want him to live, perhaps? Do you love him?" The Sleeper spat out the words like they hurt him. "If you loved me, you would help me."

For a terrible moment, Aru hesitated. And then she looked to Aiden.

"Let him speak," she demanded.

The gag lessened its hold.

"Don't do this for me, Shah," Aiden said immediately. "You're not here to save me. You can't save me. I'll die either way."

Realization dawned on Aru's face. Tears brimmed in her eyes. "No," she whispered. "You can't do this. You--" She glanced at her father. "Don't. Don't do this to him. Don't do this to me."

"Unfortunately, your boyfriend is right," the Sleeper said. "If threats are not effective...perhaps carrying them out is." He snapped his fingers.

The shadow blade sank into Aiden's chest.

A chasm of ice opened inside his chest. He looked down as the blade dissolved, leaving splinters of pain traveling throughout his body. His limbs felt numb. His bonds loosened around him and his knees buckled.

Aru, Aiden wanted to say as the darkness overtook him. Don't give up.

But he never had the chance.