Chapter 3

Chapter 3 

Monday morning I got to school early to hang up posters covered in our school colors, blue and gold. Ali and Monica agreed to help make them, but apparently their definition of help is handing me markers when I asked and eating heaps of Reese's Peanut Butter Cups and Swedish Fish. Needless to say, I was the one who ended up doing everything, just like always.

The girls wouldn't come with me to hang the posters up because they swore it was way too early. As Ali had so delicately put it, 'no one should be up at the ass crack of dawn'. So that meant I had to do this all by myself too.

I would have quit the student council by now if it hadn't been for my mom. She always found a way to sneak in the phrase 'college apps' into every conversation we had. I was beginning to think she thought it was a new catch phrase she used it so often.

As annoying as it was, I understood where she was coming for. Though we weren't poor, we weren't exactly rich either. My mom wanted me to have the freedom to go to whichever college I chose, which meant I scholarships were necessary. I told her that I didn't want to go to any Ivy Leagues or anything but she was always one for leaving options open. And that's why I'm here so early doing work for the stupid and lazy student council.

I had so much to carry that it was difficult balancing the posters and all of the extra materials that I was going to use to decorate the school with. I never did things half-assed. It was all or nothing. In this case, that meant school spirit to the max. Garland around the staircases, streamers around the doorframes, and posters on every inch of wall space, covered in blue and gold marker, paint, and glitter.

I only had a few more posters to hang and just as I was rounding the corner someone smacked right into me causing me to scatter my supplies all over the floor. Just my luck these days.

I bent to pick up the posters but a tan hand beat me there first. My eyes scanned up and over his arm, over his bulging biceps, and across his shoulder, only to see Mysterious Sweatshirt Guy from the Grille last Friday. 

"What no 'jackass' this time?" He said looking up at me, the corners of his mouth tugging up into a smirk. "I must say I appreciate it."  

"I'm really sorry about that," I said, feeling heat rise in my cheeks. "And about Friday in general. I didn't mean to go off on you. I was just in a really crappy mood." That was an understatement. I wasn't in a crappy mood. I was in a hypersensitive freak-out mood. 

"Don't worry about it. I understand," He said standing up and handed me the supplies. I couldn't help but notice the once over that he gave me as he stood up. Not that I was complaining.

"Need help?" 

"That would be great." I smiled at him. At least someone was willing to help. Unlike my so called friends who bribe me by saying they'll help me, and then ditch me.

"By the way, I never got to introduce myself. I'm Kelly." I said, balancing the materials between my arm and torso as I extended my right hand to him. 

 "Austin," He said as he shook it. A spark of electricity surged through my body at the contact. I instantly pulled away at the familiar heat I felt in my palm. The heat wasn't because his hand was warm. No, this was an electric type of heat. A heat I hadn't felt in a while. Since Tyler to be exact.

"So. Where do you want to begin?" He asked. 

"Well," I said. "How about we begin with, are you a new student here?" 

 Austin's eyes twinkled in amusement. "I meant the posters," He laughed motioning to them. Oh God, can I make an even bigger fool of myself?

"But no, I'm not actually. I'm a student over at Wellington University."  

"Oh," Was all I could manage at the moment. I should have been embarrassed over what I had said but I couldn't get over what he had just mentioned. It took everything I had to keep my jaw from dropping to the floor.

Sure, he looked older, but in college? College meant he was sophisticated and mature and so not... high school. "So," I said trying to fill in the awkward silence. "What brings you to Wellington High?" 

"Oh, you know," He said shrugging, "just seeing how many girls I can run over. I'm becoming very good at it." Austin winked at me and I felt my stomach flutter.

That was another thing that hadn't happened since Tyler. Something that I hadn't let happen. Something that I didn't want to happen. And here it was happening. With a guy I barely knew. What was going on with me? 

I studied him. He was funny. I liked that. And he really was quite attractive. He had short dark hair and the most hypnotic blue eyes I had seen. His skin was deeply tanned, but naturally, not just the result of the summer.  

"No, really," I said, shaking my head slightly, pushing the thoughts out of my head. 

"I was dropping off my résumé actually. I'm applying to be a TA for the English department. I'd be sitting in on some classes..."  

I watched the way his jaw moved when he spoke. I found something about his square chiseled jaw sexy. When he smiled dimples imprinted in his cheeks. God, he beautiful. Why hadn't I seen that at the Grille?

No, pull yourself together Kelly. You promised yourself it wasn't going to be this way anymore. 

His hand moved to push back the hair from his forehead. I wanted that hand in mine. I instantly wanted him to be mine.

My thoughts had been hi-jacked by my hormones, and I wasn't thinking rationally. Especially since Austin looked just like the love 'em and leave 'em type.

Besides, he's in college and I'm in high school. No way would he want to be with an immature high school girl who flips out over spilled soda, senior or not.

And even if he did, it's not like it would amount to anything, which is precisely the reason why I couldn't entertain the prospect of him. So I just had to get the thought out of my mind.  

"So. Are we going to hang up the posters?" I asked quickly, trying to leave the thought behind. I had been so caught up in my thoughts I hadn't realized that he had still been talking. He stopped mid-sentence and gave me a puzzled look. 

He glanced at his watch. "Oh shit, I'm sorry, I actually have an 8 a.m. class that I have to get to. Time flies."

When you're having fun, I finished the sentence for him in my mind. Oh, all the fun things I could do with him...

"Though it was nice talking with you Kelly." He gave me a smile and turned to leave.

Austin!" I called out.

He turned and raised his eyebrows in question.

"Um, did you want your sweatshirt? I mean I still have it and I'll wash it and everything."

"Oh, that. Yeah. I'll be back next week, same time for my interview. See you then?"

I smiled. "Yes, I'll bring it then."

Austin nodded and headed for the door. I mentally slapped myself. Why had I just made plans with a guy who made me feel things I promised myself never to feel again?

Simple. I had his sweatshirt and there were sure to be cold days on the horizon. He'd need it, and I was just being nice and returning it. That was the only reason.

Or so I told myself.