Chapter 8

Haneul was enjoying her new environment. She was glad that she wasn't left out just because she was a foreigner. Everyone was quite welcoming. However, her thoughts did not last long.

It was during her P.E. period when the class was playing basketball. The boys were the ones who played first that Haneul was sitting on the side with her friends. She was chatting with them as they watched the boys play. She was especially focused on Iwaizumi that she didn't notice the ball flying towards her. "WATCH OUT!"

Haneul turned to the voice in shock and ducked her head immediately as she covered her face. When she didn't hear the ball slamming somewhere, she carefully opened her eyes to see Iwaizumi holding the ball. As Haneul looked at him with wide eyes, Iwaizumi threw the ball back to the court. "Are you okay, Haneul?"

She nodded as she could not find her voice. Iwaizumi smiled in relief before going back to the court to resume the game. When the game resumed, her friends crowded her. "That was so close!"

"Iwaizumi-kun was cool! Blocking the ball like it was nothing!"

Haneul blushed as she nodded in agreement.

As her friends went back to their conversation, Haneul felt someone's stare. She furrowed her brows and looked around to see one of her classmates, Ota, glaring at her. Haneul flinched at her menacing glare before glancing away in a shock. 

"Lee-chan, what's wrong?" One of her friends asked in concern.

Haneul just shook her head with a reassuring smile. "Nothing."

Soon, the boys' match was over and it was the girls' turn. Haneul went to her team and looked at her opposing team to see Ota. She gulped as she remembered her glare. She just hoped that nothing bad will happen during the match. As her team gathered together, one of them instructed her. "Lee-chan, try to block Ota-chan."

Haneul nodded nervously. 

Soon the whistle was blown and the game has begun. Haneul was struggling during the game since Ota was too fast for her to catch up. However, she continued to run after, hoping to block the ball from being passed to her. 

Iwaizumi saw this and cheered for her. The boys in their class whistled at his actions, making Iwaizumi yell at them. However, this made her feel less nervous as she smiled faintly in appreciation.

Haneul managed to stay in front of her, blocking the ball, until Ota elbowed her hard on the side. Haneul yelped in pain as she fell onto the ground, clenching her side. 

"Haneul!" Iwaizumi yelled in shock as he ran towards her.

"Ota! That's a foul!" The teacher yelled as he ran towards Haneul as well. "Lee, are you okay?"

Haneul nodded with teary eyes. 

Iwaizumi tried to check up on her injury by gently pressing her side, causing her to hiss in pain. "Sorry, did it hurt? Do you want to go to the clinic?"

Haneul shook her head. 

"Why don't you go sit down instead? Someone can sub in for you," the teacher said as he called another student to play.

Ota who watched this from the side scoffed before turning her head away. Haneul who saw this bit her lips and slowly went to her previous spot with Iwaizumi by her side.

"Haneul, you need to be careful of her. Try to avoid her if you can," Iwaizumi mumbled for her to hear only.

"What do you mean?" She asked.

Iwaizumi hesitated before answering her. "She always talked about how she hates Koreans. Also, she is a huge fan of Oikawa. She's... a bit... rough I guess..."

Haneul's eyes widened in shock as she felt her body tremble in fear. Just when she thought she was accepted here, a person shows up, showing hatred for her. Iwaizumi hesitated but rubbed her back gently. "I'm here. We're here. Don't worry."

Haneul shook her head. "I can't let you get dragged in... I'm the one who she hates... Honestly, it's something I have expected to happen sooner or later..."

"We're your friends. We won't let you face her alone," Iwaizumi said with a strong determination.

When Haneul heard the word, friends, she felt some kind of relief and happiness in her. She did consider them as friends, but it just hit her differently when she heard it from Iwaizumi. 

She smiled brightly at Iwaizumi. "Thank you, Hajime."

Iwaizumi turned pink as he faked a cough. "D-Don't worry about anything!"