60. New-found Discipline

Start from the beginning

What? Ayla was confused, so much so that it even stopped her tears. What was he talking about?

"You know? That Reuben fellow?" The old soldier winked at her. He actually winked, at the mistress of his castle and his liege lady! "Are you going to tie the knot with him?"

Ayla turned as red as beetroot and hid half of her face behind her hands. The old man chuckled.

"It's all right, lass. The reaper will be along to collect me soon. I'm allowed to ask rude questions. Remember, before I go, the priest will come and forgive all my sins."

Ayla couldn't help smiling a little at that. "True."

"So, what about the two of you? Are you two...?"

"I... I think so," Ayla mumbled. What was she doing? Why was she suddenly opening up about her innermost feelings, fears and doubts to this man, whom she'd known all her life simply as a friendly face under an iron cap? "Yes, I think so."

"Is he a good man?"

Ayla gave this question due consideration.

"Well... I'm not too sure about that. I rather think he isn't. But I think he's the man who could make me happy."

The old soldier chuckled. "That's often the way it is. Well, Milady, I wish you a happily ever after. You've certainly gotten the right fellow to make sure no harm ever comes to you."

Ayla looked at him, puzzled.

"What do you mean?"

He chuckled again, but this time it ending in a coughing fit. Ayla held him and tried to soothe him until it had subsided. When finally he could breathe again, the soldier smiled. A trickle of blood ran down the side of his mouth.

"I saw the look in his eyes when that Italian Bastard had you. Milady-I've been a soldier all my life. I've seen my share of wroth and hatred. But never in my life did I see a look like that. If you want the advice of an old soldier-take him. He'll go through hell for you."

Ayla's finger's shook. The words of the old soldier had struck a chord in her, reawakened her deepest fears and darkest questions. For a moment, she saw a hand, burning in flames, in front of her inner eye. Reuben's hand.

"I know," she whispered. "I'm only afraid he's already been there."

A frown appeared on the old man's face.

"What do you mea-" suddenly, he broke off. A violent coughing fit seized hi. Ayla tried to sooth him, or give him some water, anything, but it would not do.

"Fetch the priest!" She yelled at a passing maid. "Tell him to bring everything for the last rites! Quick!"

The old soldier died within the hour. She never even got a chance to ask his name. Later, another guard told her it was Wigand. Ayla knew she would not forget Wigand for the rest of her life.

There were many others she tried to save that day, some she could help, many others she couldn't. Lunch was no particularly appetizing prospect when she was finally finished looking after all her patients. Yet Ayla went anyway, knowing that it would be her first real meal in a long time. Knowing the castle was besieged, she had reduced her rations and skipped meals for a very long time. Even though her faithful watchdog Burchard had done his best to stuff her like a goose at regular intervals, Ayla had more than once given her rations to children or the sick.

She entered the great hall-and suddenly, the buzz of voices around her ceased. Everyone was there: The villagers, the off-duty guards, the servants, maids, cooks and kitchen helps. Suddenly, they sprang to their feet and started cheering.