Chapter 12- Second time lucky

I sat with tears streaming down my face. The last few months never happened. I never experienced anything. A sob escapes my lips and I curl into a ball in the corner of a dead end in the Maze. Everything around me didn't matter, not even the footsteps that are quckly growing louder as if they are coming this way. Nothing-

Wait footsteps?

I leap to my feet, flikcking away the last of my tears. The footsteps seem to be on the opposite side of the wall.

"Runners" I whisper to myself, remembering what the people how scout the maze are called.

"Oi Minho, let's sit down from a while  and have som lunch. I'm bloody starving" says a Britiish vice I kniw as Newt's.

I lay my palm against the cold wall as i lean my head gently against it. I start to feel a sort of pull in my stomach and my eyes grow wide realizing what it is.

Crap!

A low growl echos through the hallway around me and I cringe. This is so embarassing. I bet Kevin even heard me wherever he is.

"What was that?" I hear Thomas ask and my stomach drops in realisation. We never shared any memories. We never shared that kiss. He never saved me from Joshua.

Yep, my stomach is still as loud as ever.

I look up, finding a vine low enough for me to grab onto. Without hesitatiom I liift myself up higher on the wall as I hear Minho speak.

"It definitely wasn't a Griever" his voice swarms my ears.

"Let's check it out" Newt then says.

The footsteps get louder but I know they won't be able to find me here. I nestle in closer to the wall. My form, hidden in all the vines that surround me.

Soon enough, the three boys I had grown to know round the corner and stop just below me.

My breath hitches in my throat as Thomas gazes up at the vines near where I am hidden. My heart pounds against my ribcage as Newt leans against the wall just below me. His hand accidently slies down a fraction causing the vine I was currently hanging on to, to jolt, making me slip down a fraction. A small squeak escapes from my mouth -yep, still a mouse- but is loud enough for the three to hear.

"What the hell was that?" Minho asks under his breath but is loud enough for everyone to hear.

"Sounded like a mouse". Thomas states making me bite my lip instead of laughing out loud.

Told you I was a mouse.

Newt looks at the vine he accidently tugged and grasps onto it making my eyes grow wide. As quickly and stealthily as I can, I grab onto the vine next to me just as Newt yanks at the one I was previously on.

"What are you doing Newt?" Minho questions the blonde cutie. Newt looks at the other two boys behind him.

"The squeak happened when I accidenty pulled on this vine" He exclaims and Thomas and Minho glance at each other before going to each of Newt's sides and grabbing another vine. My breathiing picks up as Minho grabs my vine and before I have time to move, yanks it as hard as he can.

I slip off the vine and fall, a squeak mixed wirh a yelp rips from my already dry throat. Everything seems to be going in slow motion as the ground grows closer quickly. But before spine meets the stone I am caught by two strong arms. The impact i land in them makes me winded and I gasp for air.

When my breathing has recovered I freeze for a second noticing that I'm in Minho's arms with the three staring weirdly at me  before I leap from his grasp. I stand in their little triangle, my eyes frantically looking at each of them.

Minho looks confused.

Newt looks concerned.

Thomas looks like he wants to go back to eating bacon but is still confused at to why a girl fell from the top of a wall from a gianormis maze.

Yet another squeak sounds from me and I dive in between Newt and Thomas before sprinting down the way they came. The sound of their running shoes smaking against the stone flooring at a extremely fast pace has me running faster.

I run past where the bys were eating, noticing they left their belongings behind, but they don't stop for them. I round corners after corners until I reach a convintenly placed dead end. A shaky breath passes my lips and out into the hot air around me.

I run to the wall and slam a hand against it just as they come around the corner panting. A blinding yellow light shoots put of my arm and into the wall making me smile slightly. Coursing through the stone surface like veins before the loud rumbling noise sounds and wind blows my hair back out of my face.

Then the wall moves.

I have seen this at least three times to know what happens but everytime is better than the last. I almost forget about the trio until Minho's unforgetable voice pulls me from my trance.

"What the-"

He is cut off by the walls opening and my small form running through. But before they are able to follow, the walls are already closing quicky. I turn to them to see all their mouths hanging open in awe andd disbelief. I think Minho's is the biggest.

The last thing I hear is Newt whispering: "We ain't telling no one about this when we get back. they'll think were crazy" and the doors close, making a loud bang ehco through the maze corridors and I blink.

They know about me all over again.

(A/N:Hey guys! Sorry I haven't updated in like forever but here it is! I hope you enjoyed this chapter of Adelaide going back into what seems to be her past and meeting the boys all over again. Why do you think I made the previous chapters all a dream? Shh, It's a secret. Make sure you join Adelaide the controller of the Maze on the Next chapter of 'To Run with the Grievers'.

See ya next time and thanks for 1.7k!

-Cassie)