Prologue ✔

Ava watched the screen with sharp eyes, a blank expression holding her features in a mask. Her long, talon-like nails tapped impatiently on the long hard wood desk that she sat behind, a sigh echoing around her almost silent room.

"Nothing?" She repeated the word from the man's previous statement. Not quite believing his words. "What do you mean, nothing?" Her tone was demanding, surrounded in power that only she wielded.

"It is as I said ma'am." The voice of Callum Grinde hardly met her ears, her eyes narrowing ever so slightly. "None of the subjects statistics have spiked, we have been blank for weeks. Something has to be done or this cure may be as good as gone."

The woman in white's jaw clenched.She knew what he was talking about, he was the only doctor brave enough to suggest it. Uneasiness set in the woman's stomach, but her face showed nothing but bitterness towards the man's words.
Sending children into the middle of a deadly, living maze was one thing.

Sending your own daughter down into its death bringing corridors, was another.

But then again, maybe she didn't have a choice. After all, the whole world depended on this cure. They depended on W.I.C.K.E.D. And she wasn't going to extinguish their faith by a matter so small.

"Fine." She spat with cold hard venom, her eyes locking onto the doctor's on the screen in front of her. "You can have it your way, for now. But if anything goes wrong, Grinde... It's on you."

Fear flashed across the man's eyes as he prayed to the gods for a miracle. Their world was falling apart and the existence of the human race depended on one thing.

Lifting her chin high in the air, Ava bid farewell to the doctor before cutting their communication. Slowly, she rose from her chair, making her way from her room, confidence seeping into each step she made, even though a strain of doubt stung her heart. Yes, the woman in white remained scared for the safety of her daughter. But she'd never say that aloud.

The woman made her way to the conference room, pushing the door open harshly to the open area where she sat down in her black leather chair, facing the higher members of W.I.C.K.E.D's ranks.

"It is time," she spoke firmly yet carefully, her hawk-like eyes wandering calmly over the confused faces of the people around her. May I introduce to you,"

"Project: Adelaide."

  ☣ ☣☣ 

Cold.

It was the first I felt as I awoke that moment, my body pressed against a cool rough surface , my skin lined with water. Or was it sweat? My mind was in a haze, the feeling of unknown clouded my missing thoughts.

What am I doing here?

Where am I?

...Who am I?

The last question out of many that surfaced sent me into a state of panic. What idiot forgets their own name?

You...

A sigh slipped from between my lips, echoing around me in the chilly night air. I had yet to open my eyes, unsure if it was out of fear or the simple fact I had other things on my mind, but something in the back of my mind willed me to it.

Black.

It was the first thing I saw as my eyes shot open, my brow furrowing as I surveyed the starless sky above. Nothing else could be seen, it was as thought I hadn't need to open my eyes in the first place. No stars littered the darkness overhead. No moon cast shadows around me. No... Nothing.