"I would be very disgruntled if it wasn't."

Unfortunately, before we could leave, a message from Aro came and Demetri's face fell.

"Another search?" I softly asked. I had almost forgotten that his life was not completely his own. He had masters to serve and they would not relish the idea of him leaving.

"Come," he said, taking my hand, "let's find out."

In silence we followed the messenger to the great hall and as expected, Aro waited for us, sitting on his throne, like a king, lording over his subjects.

"Aaah, my young friends, how good of you to come. Ariadne, you look stunning."

Weary of his compliment and smile, after what Demetri had told me about the old vampire, I nodded and murmured a small thank you. Aro smiled, as if nothing was wrong, but when he held out his hand and Demetri made to move his own forward, I suddenly heard myself saying loudly: "No, stop!"

A few hisses penetrated the sudden silence. The hands of both men froze in midair and Demetri eyed me with something akin to terror.

Perhaps it was my twenty-first century lack of acknowledging power, the believe that this was a free country and that no one could force me to do anything, but I did not understand why he was suddenly so afraid. Aro might be the most powerful vampire I knew, but it was my solemn believe that being powerful didn't automatically mean you could do everything you wanted, no matter the cost.

Realizing however that every other person in the manor, did Aro's every bidding without question and that I could be in serious trouble because of my impertinence, I hastened to explain.

"There is no need to read our every thought. I understand it goes a lot faster than talking, but it is demeaning and embarrassing. You don't need to know every little detail about our lives, just ask what you want to know, we will tell you the truth."

Aro didn't answer immediately, instead he cocked his head and stared at me, deliberating, probably, what to do with me. As his strange, dark red eyes bore into mine, unease finally began to settle. Had I just committed suicide? The image of the newborn losing his head flashed before my eyes and I swallowed.

From the corner of my eyes I saw how Demetri flexed his fingers and then balled them into fists. Would he fight for me, or against me?

"Very well", Aro slowly spoke, causing Demetri's eyes to bulge.

I quickly looked his way, scanning the room at the same time. Every other vampire in the room seemed ready to pounce, but as Aro took a step back and seated himself once again on the throne-like chair, they all relaxed. A little bit of fear finally crept up my back. Yet also wonder, about what it was that Aro really wanted from me that gave me this much apparent latitude.

Aro's frown disappeared as he said: "I wanted merely to spare you the embarrassment of having to share your answers with everyone in this room, but, have it your way."

His excuse felt made up and I knew he was lying. With all the power he had, Aro was afraid to not know everything everyone was thinking. It taught me that he ruled by creating fear and not because he cared. It put me very much on my guard and gave me a little more appreciation for the warning the Cullens had tried to give me.

His soft, raspy voice called me back to the present. "I came to the understanding that you have made preparations to leave us."

I focused my attention on Aro's words and even though he intended to question Demetri, I was the one who answered. "Only a short distance. This manor is very nice, but I don't like the darkness. I am used to the outdoors and Demetri told me he has a house nearby we could use. That is all."

Was that all he had wanted to hear? He narrowed his eyes infinitesimally, a human wouldn't have noticed. Perhaps he was afraid he would loose his tracker? I didn't think he needed to fear that.

Movement behind his chair made me look and I smiled briefly as I recognized Chelsea. She did not smile back, however, but seemed deep in thought as she stared at the space between Demetri and me. What was her gift? It hadn't taken me long to believe that everyone who lived in the manor, had to have some sort of gift. Aro would not keep them here if they hadn't.

For a tiny moment, I deliberated asking Aro why he wanted to keep me here, but then I decided against it. Now was not the time. I would wait until I found Aro alone and somehow that didn't seem like such an impossibility. Perhaps he would even seek me out.

We waited, for two nerve-wracking minutes, that, with the speed a vampire mind needed to process, seemed like a very long time. In the end, Aro's features relaxed and he waved, almost as if he was bored. The action reminded me of the wave Marcus had given me a while back.

We were excused and so I nodded, grabbed Demetri's hand and left the room in a flash.