Chapter Fourteen

I always thought it was weird how they portrayed Heaven in movies. Empty, all white room, Morgan Freeman in the center. Seems unnatural and very un-supernatural.

My fuzzy brain struggles to think of what brought that thought on. In the end, it's the darkness that reminds me.

I feel like I've been staring at the back of my eyelids for seconds and years, and consciousness is spotty at best. I would be worried but rational thoughts seem impossible to grasp, which in a way isn't bad. I hear beeps around me and people murmuring so I try to grab ahold of my hearing, but it's like trying to decipher a phone vibration and after a moment I give up.

Am I dying?

After a minute the beeps die away and so does the murmuring. I'm left to abstract thoughts and darkness and crappy consciousness. There's nothing wonderful about dying so far, if I am.

-----------------------

"I don't know! She hasn't been sick recently or anything! I was making her breakfast and then I hear something and find her on the floor, unresponsive... I don't know anything else okay?"

My mind wakes to the sound of a very aggressive Kyson and I mentally groan, wishing I could command my eyes to open so I can calm him down. Finally it seems I'm able to have normal thoughts so I guess the whole 'dying' thing was a false alarm.

What happened to me? Why did I faint?

My eyelids feel glued together so I settle for listening to the conversation Kyson is apart of.

"Do her parents have any medical issues? Understand we are just trying to get down to the bottom of what her problem could be."

Oh Lord. Kyson knows absolutely nothing, I made sure of it.

"Sir I don't know. Her father seems to be in perfect health and her mom-isn't.... In the picture. I've never met her."

The doctor says nothing, only sighs.

"Yes and where is her father? I'd like to speak to him."

"Florida actually. Adda lives alone."

"Alone?"

"Yes sir. I'm over a lot. More than a lot."

The doctor lapses into silence again and I can tell he disapproves of my parents, or the lack there of.

"Well can you ring him? For medical purposes, and Adda's sake. It's worrying me that no one seems to know what could be the problem."

I struggle to think of a reason that would explain my fainting. I'm not diabetic and I felt fine, if a little hungry.

Hungry.

Something snaps into place as I make the connection.

I'm anemic. It's never been much of a problem before, I always get enough iron into my system. I've certainly never fainted before, but it makes sense. I didn't get a chance to eat at Rominelly's and I had barely eaten lunch.

It should be a simple fix but there's a slight problem.

I've never told Kyson.

Now of course I'm beginning to regret that, but it's never seemed important. It would only worry him and then he would ask questions. Questions including: 'how did you find out you were anemic?' And that is a question I desperately don't want to answer.

I struggle against my eyelids but they feel like a brick wall over my eyes.

"Here, sir, her dad is on the phone."