Do You Know Eva- Chapter Seven

Start from the beginning

‘One Missed Call: Benny’.

Who the hell is Benny? I’ll quiz Jessica about this later but something else in her bag has caught my eyes. I place the phone back into the bag and pull out a small, plastic bag that can be resealed. The bag is quarter full with a white powder. I know exactly what this is. I stand up and place the plastic bag into the pockets of my jeans. This will also be a topic of conversation for Jessica and I. why does she feel she has to take drugs? Why is she doing this to herself?

“You had no right to be rooting through my bag Eva!” Jessica screams at me, while we sit in my bedroom.

“Jessica! Why? Huh… Why?”

“Look I got into the habit of just taking a small bit every now and then.”

“And who is Benny?”

“He’s my supplier.”

“Your supplier… right. Okay I want you out of my house.”

“Why?” She asks, sitting at the edge of my bed.

“Jessica, I really don’t need this now. Just get out.”

“So is this it. Me and you?”

“There was never really a ‘you and I’ to begin with was there Jessica?”

“How can you say that? I sat with you in the hospital. I thought you were dead Eva. I told you I loved you.”

“Oh for God’s sakes that was a week ago. Get over it! Just get out Jessica. I’ll talk to you when you are ready to choose me over a stupid addiction.” I turn away from her, the plastic bag still in my hand. I grip it tightly, just incase she try’s to take it.

“Gimme it.” She shouts.

“No. Now get out.”

“You know I can just get more Eva.”

“Well then what are you still here for?”

“When I leave, I’m not coming back. You will be alone in this house.”

“Finally.”

She shakes her head and storms out of the room, slamming the door behind her. I slide the bag back into my pocket.

Since I have been staying alone in the house alone, I have cleaned it up. You wouldn’t recognize it. Everything seems perfect, but I guess that’s the way a home should look like. There are no empty bottles of beer or cigarette boxes lying around. There is no coldness. I found my mother drinking fund- over a thousand bucks, enough to last almost a month until I find a job. I’ll be all right.

I’ll be all right. Right?

The doorbell rings later that night. I expect its Jessica, returning to tell me she loves me and wants to stay and that she was being stupid. But to my surprise it is not her standing underneath the light in my porch.

Jason!” I say, when I open the door.

“Eva.” He says, in a deep voice. He wears a blue and white football coat and a pair of jeans. His dirty blonde hair is tossed to one side. His face is freshly shaven.

“Jason, what are you doing here?”

“I was looking for Jessica. Is she around?”

“No she isn’t. You might wanna try down some back alley; she will be the girl with a needle in her arm. Goodbye Jason.”

I go to close the door, but his hand stops it.

“Well then, do you wanna hang out?”

“Excuse me?”

“Come on. It’s Saturday night. You don’t wanna be alone, do you? It’s obvious that you and Jessica are having some heat so you can just talk to me. I’ll listen.”

“Okay Jason. Come on in.” I say, reluctantly. Since when does Jason Shepard, the most popular guy in school want to hang out with Eva?

We sit awkwardly on the couch in the living room. The TV blares a football game.

“Why are you here Jason?”

“I’m alone on a Saturday night too. I thought you and I could get to know each other.”

“I thought you said you came here for Jessica.”

“Did I?” He smiles, showing a set of marvelous, white teeth. “Besides, now that you and Jessica are history…”

“Me and Jessica aren’t history. We are just… on a break. She will be back.”

“O.K, whatever.”

“Look maybe this was a bad idea.”

“No, I’m sorry. How about we make this night a little more interesting?” He jumps up and walks over to the cabinet where he pulls out my mother bottle of scotch and two shot glasses. He sits back down and pours two shots, slides one to me and nods.

“Ready…”

I laugh.

“One… two… three….”

We lift the glasses and swallow the contents.

Twenty shots later, we are outside, underneath the stars stumbling in the streets of Rivendale.

“Okay, I admit it, you are hot…” I spit out. What we are even talking about, I don’t know.

“I knew it! I knew it!” he bursts into a fit of laughter. I do too.

“But Jase, you’re a jerk!”

“I admit I am a jerk to you. But that’s only because I have a massive crush on you.”

I stop walking. He walks on a few steps but stops when he realizes I am not following him. I sit down on a bench beside a bus stop. A few cars zoom by.

“What?” He asks.

“This isn’t a good idea.”

“This is a great idea.”

He sits beside me. I look to him and smile. He smiles in return.

“Wanna try something Jason?”

“What Eva?”

I pull out the plastic bag and dangle it in front of his eyes. His smile widens.

“Definitely.”

I suck my finger to moisten it and dip it into the bag. I pull out my finger, the drug stuck to my finger. I place it into my mouth and close my eyes. I know this is wrong, but it feels so right. Suddenly Jason leans in and pulls me into a kiss. Raw and passionate. We sit under the shelter of the bus stop, kissing non stop. He then pulls out and takes his own serving of the drug.

“You know Eva, you are awesome.”

“Let’s get back to my place…” I say, my teenage hormones taking control with the help of booze and drug.

I push open the door, Jason’s lips attached to mine. I drop my bag and coat onto the floor. I pull out and laugh, that’s all I seem to be doing tonight, constantly laughing. He switches on some music and jumps onto the couch. I lay over him and kiss him lightly on the lips. He pulls my head back when I lean out and kisses me again.

What am I doing? This isn’t me? Suddenly the lights switch on showing Jessica standing at the door to the sitting room. Her expression changes. She swallows a lump. Her eyes tighten, trying to hold back the tears and comprehend the image before her, me on top of Jason, his arms rapped around me. Her lips curl. She bites her tongue.

“Jessica…”