Chapter 20

Loren's POV *Five Months Later*

I cant do this anymore...

Screw second chances.

Ive been MISERABLE for almost a half a year.

When I decided to move here, I thought Carlos would be a little more like me.

But what really put me over the edge is that Carlos pushed dad into drinking again. It wasn't as bad as it was before where he was angry, but it was almost every night.

He was ten years sober.

Carlos made him throw it all away.

Fuck him.

I just don't know how I'm supposed to tell dad. We have a court date set up for February 10th. It's only January 4th, but I really wanna live with my Aunt Jenna back in Oklahoma.

Not that I want to live with her, I really just wanna not live in Colorado with Carlos and Daisy.

I shouldn't have left. But I'd never say it out loud. I already had everything packed cause there's nothing dad can do to stop me, but I hope he's ok with it. He has to understand. I already wrote Aunt Jenna a letter and sent it.

Aunt Jenna,
Hey! It's Loren. I know I passed up the opportunity to live with you back at the end of summer, but I can't stay in Colorado. I hope you don't mind if I decide to come back and live with you.
With Love,
Loren

She gave me a phone call and said she'd love it. Then she asked if it had anything to do with the car accident...

I don't even know how she knows about it. Ive managed to keep it from dad but it worries me that she knows. It means people are talking about it. That's what unsettles me most.

But I've called the movers and all that's left is to tell dad.

I went into the basement and he was watching TV. "Hey, Loren." He said looking over at me. "What's up?"

"Can we talk?" I asked, nervously.

"Is it about wanting to move back to Oklahoma?" He asked standing up.

"I- wait what? How did you know?" I asked quickly.

"I'm your father. I know things. And your aunt called me the other day and said you asked to stay with her." He said.

"Fuck. Really?" I asked.

"Language." He said.

"Sorry. I told her I wanted to tell you. Not her. Are you mad?" I asked nervously.

"No, of course not. I understand. Oklahoma is your home. You probably miss your friends. And I know Carlos isn't exactly who you're used to being around." He said with a grin.

I let out a sigh of relief. "Oh, thanks dad. It means a lot you're ok with it. I was so nervous you'd be angry."

"I wouldn't ever get mad at you for that. That's ridiculous. I love you and I support what you do." He said with a smile.

"Aww, thanks dad. I love you." I said giving him a hug. "I'll call every day and write as much as possible. Thank you!" I yelled getting excited and going upstairs. I packed up the rest of my things and put them outside. I put as much as I could in my car and waited for the movers.

I made sure dad didn't see me bring moms stuff to my car. I didn't know how he'd take it. I'd rather leave on good terms. The movers took all my things and I gave dad a hug goodbye.

"Promise you'll stay in touch?" He asked.

"Of course. As much as possible. And it's the perfect time to leave! Why you may ask? I can go back to Will Rogers just in time for the start of second semester!" I said with a huge smile plastered on my face.

"I'm happy for you. Don't lose touch. I can't lose you again." He said. He sounded almost... upset. More upset than when I told him before.

"Aww, dad. I'll always keep in touch. I promise." I said with a grin. "I love you. I'll call you as soon as I get down there." I said with a grin.

"Alright. Drive safe. I love you too."

I got in my car and waved goodbye and drove off.

I'm going home!

I'm really going home!!

The ten hour long car ride was 100% worth it. I was back home. I was walking the streets of Tulsa just like before. I didn't see my aunt very much before. I've seen her s few times but she's been in and out of rehab so it was hard to see her. As I've mentioned before, she's considered a "lost cause."

But I pulled up to her house and she was eager to greet me. "Loren! Oh how I missed you!" She said pulling me into a hug.

"Hi, Aunt Jenna. How are you?" I asked.

"I'm great! I hope you don't mind, but the movers got here early and I was just so excited for you to stay with me that I put your room together! Is that ok?"

"Oh my goodness! Really? That's so exciting! Thank you!" I said excitedly. "I'll come check it out. Just let me get the boxes from my car inside." I said pointing to my car.

"Of course, of course. Let me help." She said following me.

She grabbed two boxes and I grabbed one and my moms stuff box.

I was excited for this.

I really was.

No matter what obstacles I have to deal with. Like avoiding Sodapop and all his friends and especially his brothers. Making new friends at Will Rogers. Getting a job. I was ready for all of it.

I walked inside and the house smelled of alcohol.

And in that very second as soon as I got a whiff of all the drinks and alcohol smell, I knew I wasn't ready for whatever this world had to offer me.