Jamie let out a sigh before she inched closer to the Russian, "It's him." she whispered, her face rigid and stoic. Natasha let out a breath she didn't know she was holding and briefly nodded. They shared one last look before they got interrupted by the beep monitors blaring loudly through the window.

"He's in V-tach." A male nurse announced. The quartet watched with bewilderment expressions as they took the spectacle in front of them. Jamie's heart soared against her chest, feeling her throat closing with every breath she took.

"BP is dropping!"

"Defibrillator!" The head doctor ordered through his mask. "I want you to charge him at one hundred."

Natasha's lip quivered, her eyes slightly wide as she stared at his lifeless body. "Don't do this to me, Nick," she said in a small voice, putting her hand on the glass pane.

"Stand back! Three, two, one. Clear!" The doctors gave him another shock with the defibrillator, resulting in another give-out. The four watched the doctors as they continued to revive Fury, but the machine flatlined.

Jamie chewed the insides of her cheeks and vigorously blinked her tears. She took a few breaths and turned away from the scene. "Don't do this to me, Nick. Don't do this to me." She heard Natasha repeating it like a mantra.

"What's the time?" The doctor asked one of the nurses.

"1:03, Doctor." A female nurse replied.

Jamie ran a hand over her mouth, her glistening eyes averting away from the others towards Brock Rumlow, who gave her a respective nod, his eyes clouding with a tint of pity. She clenched her jaw, quickly acknowledging his presence with a nod. She turned away, avoiding his intentive eyes.

Steve, Natasha, and Jamie were left in the room, all gazing down on Fury's body placed on a metal table. No one uttered a word as the silence engulfed the air. Jamie stood next to a teary-eyed Natasha, their hands clasped tightly together for comfort whilst they watched his deceased frame, not hearing Maria entering the room.

Jamie rubbed her arm, her soothing and gentle touch bringing the redhead reassurance and warmth, but her touch quickly turned cold and vacant as soon as her mind slowly drifted away, reliving the Fury's death over and over again.

"I need to take him," Maria told them, her blank expression peering through. Jamie's head whirled around, meeting Steve's eyes before glancing at the agent with furrowed brows.

Steve walked towards the duo, his gaze softening at the redhead as he placed himself between them. "Natasha." The Russian didn't respond, instead, she tenderly touched Fury's head before she bolted out of the room. Steve shared a look with Jamie and walked out, with her trailing behind him.

"Natasha!"

Natasha stopped dead in her tracks, her glowering face meeting Steve's confused expression as he inched closer. She narrowed her eyes at him with a scowl, "Why was Fury in your apartment?" she questioned, her rigid studying for any trace of wariness.

Jamie crossed her arms in front of her chest, her head tilting to the side, curious of his answer. She rubbed the back of her neck and glanced to the side, but did a double-take as she watched Rumlow walking towards them.

"I don't know." Steve lied through his teeth, making Natasha scowl while she looked at him with an intense look. As he was about to let another word, Rumlow stood next to Jamie and patted Steve on the back. "Cap, Barzinji, they want you back at SHIELD."

Jamie furrowed her eyebrows, her confusion matching with Natasha's. She turned her head to Rumlow and back to Steve, her eyes trailing back and forth. "Just give us a second, Rumlow," Jamie told the agent with a quick nod, putting her attention on the pair.

Rumlow's scowling face deepened and brought a harsh grip on her shoulders. "They want you now. Both of you." Rumlow said, his voice demanding and strict. Jamie's sharp look faltered his scowl, causing him to utter an apology with his hands up in surrender.

Steve watched their small interaction with a glare, his eyes gazing how Rumlow's hand grasped her shoulder. He let out a sigh, "Okay." he concluded, and looked at Jamie who brushed him off with a simple nod, motioning that she was fine.

"You're a terrible liar," Natasha told Steve, her lips forming into a smirk. Her eyes drifted away from Steve towards Jamie, "I'll call you later." she told the former soldier with a quick nod before she disappeared from their sights.

"STRIKE team, escort Captain Rogers and agent Barzinji back to SHIELD immediately for questioning." Jasper Sitwell announced through his earpiece, earning an irritated sigh from the female as she walked out of the hospital with Steve next to her.

Steve took a look at the vending machine beside him, making Jamie almost laugh at the fact that he hid the flash drive in a vending machine. She inched closer to the 96-year-old man with a smirk.

   "Not the best hiding place, but I'll give you three points at the pack of gums," she whispered, making Steve turn his face to her. He raised his eyebrows, a look of surprise etched onto his delicate features.

Jamie gave him an unimpressed look, leaning her face closer to his ear, "Oh, c'mon, Rogers. I've been alive for 175 years. I thought you knew me better by now." she whispered once again, keeping her voice as quiet as possible before she quickened her speed, ending up walking in front of Rumlow and Sitwell, leaving a flustered Steve at the back.

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀   ・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚.   ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
AUTHOR'S NOTE.

The first chapter and we're already back in action. It's gonna be so exciting, and I have so much to share and show you more of Jamie's backstory.

Thank you for voting, commenting and showing endless support for this series. It means a lot and it makes me happy that you like it.

Taglist: FiammataAce18 -lelcnelyislandss csmicvrse -moonblooms moonqlow BLOODOATHS missacqcia -cosmicdvst jianssluvv 1-800-DRUKKARI