I will never cry again.

So why can he taste them once again?

They are not his.

(Name)?

Slowly emerging from his drowsy state, he hears the repetitive hum of machinery and sees a faint light flickering out in the corner of his eyes.

His vision is blurry.

Where is (Name)?

The ground vibrates dangerously.

He is lying down on the hard, cold floor.

Perhaps you need help too.

"(Name)"

He manages to articulate your name weakly.

You wheeze.

Bending over him, you are crying and hiccoughing with worry and sadness.

"C-Clive..."

"Ughn... (Name)...?"

He is about to raise his arm to touch your face but realises you are already holding his hand close to your chest.

"Clive! Oh, I'm s-so relieved! I-I tried waking you up, b-but you weren't moving a-any more! I d-didn't know w-what to do!"

These are your tears falling on his face.

He wipes them off slowly with his other hand before letting it fall back next to his head.

Weary.

"(Name)..."

Don't cry, he wants to say.

Please, don't cry, Love. I'm okay.

Please don't cry for me.

Let me comfort you...

But he is exhausted.

His whole body is screaming in pain.

"H-hang on! S-someone... Professor Layton will surely come back for us...", you say in an attempt to keep him awake, squeezing his hand.

"(Name)... You must g-go... Run away, o-or you're going to die..."

"I won't abandon you here, Clive. I'm not letting you down!"

"B-but..."

Why are you staying?

He swallows painfully, blinking very slowly.

"A-aren't you mad at me?"

"Of course I am! I'm terribly mad at you! What you did is horrible! All these poor people outside, their home and life destroyed by your fault! That atrocious mess you made, the misery you put thousands and thousands of people in... Just the thought of it, it... it makes me hate you! And yet... yet... why... why do I empathise with you? Why can't I leave you?"

Why are you telling me to leave?

You hug him tightly, your head resting on his.

He can smell the scent of your skin, feel the tip of your hair on his forehead.

"Promise me you'll never hurt anyone ever again, Clive!", you order him in a shaky voice.

We want to save each other.

He admires you.

Your resolve.

Despite you feeling so brittle, you still have faith.

He likes that.

Though, he feels sorry for you.

Guilty.