Risorgimento

(Reminder: This story contains massive spoilers from 'Professor Layton and the Lost Future')

***

Quiet times.

To you, they are synonyms of a warm afternoon at home, surrounded by the sound of a boiling kettle, the smell of tea embalming your small kitchen.

And the familiar voice of the one you have been waiting for so long

Echoing from the living-room.

"Professor Layton has yet again made the front page of the London Times. This man never takes a break... I kinda envy him."

"That's Hershel for you!", you chirp as you head back to the living-room, waiting for the water to boil completely.

Clive flashes a nostalgic smile.

"We must go pay him a visit of courtesy some time, when the two of you get some free time. I think it may actually be good for you to meet each other in a different context, see, outside of your offices at the university, you know?"

"Right you are...", you admit, sitting on the sofa right next to him.

"Of course I am! You definitely need some rest, Love.", he chuckles.

He pulls you closer, like an invitation to read the newspaper together.

"Should I invite him over for lunch, next Sunday? You'd meet Hershel's children! After all, you've only seen photos of them, haven't you? Alfendi looks like an angel and Katrielle is a sweetheart."

"That would be lovely! I'm looking forward to it. The professor and I haven't talked for a fortnight, I believe."

It has become strangely natural for you to call Professor Layton by his first name, Hershel. But to some individuals, like Luke and Clive, it is simply impossible. They cannot do it. By principle. As a matter of respect.

As Clive's warm hand rests on your shoulder, you count how many things have changed in your life during the past years, since the end of this most tremendous affair.

Times have not always been so quiet for the both of you.

After his gruesome plans were revealed, Clive was sent to prison by the Court of London. Given the gravity of his crimes, there was fairly no possibility to overrule the judge's decision.

Because he voluntarily gave himself up and promised to atone for his crimes - and thanks to his friends' testimonies - Professor Layton's, Luke's, Flora's, Inspector Chelmey's... yours, his sentence was lightened a tiny little bit, despite the former prime minister Bill Hawks' vehement opposition.

Given away by Dimitri's testimony, Bill's own crimes and greed were put to the world to see and he was forced to resign. Put under pressure and threatened, he and his wife exiled themselves somewhere in the Pacific in order to escape the angry crowd of people and furious paparazzi.

Luke too went away with his family to another continent.

Although the two of you have been keeping in touch on a regular basis, it does not feel the same any more. A distance is slowly digging itself as time passes by, as Luke is becoming an adult, sailing away for new adventures.

Flora is still living in London, so you two can meet every time your heavy schedule allows you so.

(Flora has become a successful mystery novelist, even a brilliant author in general. It is not too hard to imagine where she gets her inspiration from...)

Yes, you are a very busy person. After being Professor Layton's student and assistant for years, you eventually graduated and obtained your dream job at Gressenheller university, at the department of science and archaeology, thanks to his unfailing support. Now, you are officially colleagues.