A Night Of Dreams

In her dream, Lyra wandered down a lantern-lit path for hours, her feet bruised and bleeding. Darkness stretched around her, held at bay by the light of the lanterns. There was no one around, no one to hear her calling for help, not a firefly, a wisp of a Seelie, nor even the stars. She collapsed to the floor on her knees, and the scenery changed to a land covered in Glaze Lilies—Dihua Marsh of many an age ago. Explosions rocked the sky, oceans rose to meet the mountains, humans screamed from far away. This was what it meant to be a child born in war.

She got up and continued walking, something catching her eye on the bank of the marsh—a small doll, covered in dirt and battered, but once loved, the one who loved it nowhere to be seen.

"It's over now," said someone behind her. She turned to see Nocturna sitting near the bank of the river, a gentle smile on her face, nothing about her to say she was no longer alive, nothing to say Death found in her a companion.

"I'm sorry I couldn't protect you."

Nocturna waved her hand. "Don't be." She looked to the sky, her eyes brighter than they'd ever been before. The way it was when they were children, watching the clouds pass by in wonder. "It was my time. You know gods can't live forever."

"How?"

"Murdered." She shrugged, as if that was something of minor importance, as if it was something that happened often. "Someone seemed to be searching for something off my person, and when they couldn't find it, they stabbed me and hightailed."

"Do you want revenge?" Lyra asked, clutching the doll to her heart.

"No." Seeing Lyra's bewildered expression, she smiled. "Revenge was never for the dead. It was for the living—" she gestured to Lyra "—who couldn't bear the pain."

Lyra fell silent and looked up, just as the sky lit up again, the mountain moving. She smiled, knowing who was there.

"Do you remember this?" Nocturna waved a hand, the sleeve of her dress dancing, and the scene changed to be lit up by the moon, rather than the violence of explosions. Lyra looked around to see two young girls facing off against four treasure hoarders, ridiculously outmatched by size. She almost stepped forward to help, but then stopped.

One girl stood protectively in front of the other, shivering but determined nonetheless, and Lyra recognized her. She was Lyra, from many a year ago. Little Nocturna clung to Lyra's sleeve, holding Glaze Lilies in one hand.

Lyra looked back to see the other Nocturna smiling fondly. "You were powerless back then and still stepped in front of me."

Lyra gave her a withering glance, as someone—who was faster than their eyes could track—attacked the treasure hoarders, elemental powers swirling in a dance. Green and black flashed along his sword, and both Lyras watched in amazement.

The treasure hoarders turned tail and ran, and the boy looked at the kids, disappearing before they could utter a thank you. Lyra had never met him again after that, but she hoped the loneliness on his face was gone now.

"This was my favorite memory. I just wanted to see it one last time," said Nocturna, as Granny Ping walked over to the children. Lyra smiled as she recalled the amount of chastising they had gotten that night. "Let's meet again someday. May the stars watch over you," said Nocturna, handing her Glaze Lilies, just as Little Nocturna handed them to Granny.

When Lyra awoke, the pang in her heart had disappeared, and the aroma of Glaze Lilies hung in the room. She wasn't very surprised to see them on the bedside table.

"You're up." Lyra watched as Diluc silently walked in, the door closing behind him. He narrowed his eyes at the Lilies, perhaps wondering where they had come from. "I was wondering if you'd ever wake up. Where did you get those?"

"From a dream," answered Lyra, not really caring how absurd she would sound. If he accepted the fact a ghost sent her to his mansion, he would accept this too. "How long was I out?"

"14 hours." He walked over to her and took a seat on the edge of the bed. "Perhaps longer. How are you feeling?"

"Alive."

"That's a start." He leaned back on his arms, before looking at the door. "Kaeya and Jean were worried about you."

"And you weren't?" asked Lyra, feeling rather playful at the moment.

His eyes flickered to hers before he decided to ignore the question. "And Klee wanted to see you again. Said she had a present. She wanted to bring it to you, but I told her that if it was a bomb, she was not to come within a mile of this place." Lyra laughed and his expression softened. "You're free to stay here as long as you like."

"Thank you."

"But not too long. Apparently, Jean wanted to put you to work soon."

Lyra threw the pillow at him, which he caught with an amused smile. "Way to spoil the mood, Diluc."

"Well, he's not exactly wrong," said Kaeya, entering and leaning against the door. "Jean's gone off to track an Abyss Mage, and we have a visitor in Mondstadt."

"Who?"

"A wine connoisseur," said Diluc, as Kaeya nodded.

"He wears an eye-patch," said Kaeya, gesturing to his own. "Is blond-haired and dressed extravagantly. Would you find him and initiate conversation?"

"Is there a reason you can't do it?"

He smiled, as if they were sharing a secret. "I have something else to do. I didn't know you were such a slacker." His smile changed into a smirk.

Lyra, feeling annoyance rise up at his words, threw a pillow at him. Kaeya ducked out of the room, leaving laughter in his wake.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~