Angel's Share

Lyra wondered how old she looked and what the drinking age was. Walking down the quiet streets, she nodded to the few knights that were on patrol, and headed into the tavern. Warmth overwhelmed her, a certain coziness flooding her senses. The bartender and a few knights were in the tavern, the soft melody of a lyre floating around.

"What would you like?" asked the bartender, narrowing his eyes as he looked her up and down. "You look underage."

"How old do I look?"

"Nineteen."

"I assure you I'm not. I'm far older than you ever will be," Lyra said, taking a seat at the counter.

"In that case, I'll have to see an ID, madame."

"I'm afraid I don't have one."

"Then no alcohol for you." Lyra tsked and put her head down on the counter, as his expression softened. She read his name tag. Charles. "We have non-alcoholic drinks as well."

"I wanted to get knock-out drunk," muttered Lyra. "I thought Mondstadt was famous for its wine. You're really going to deny people the privilege of drinking it?"

Charles gave her a disapproving look, and then sighed. And that was when Lyra knew there was no way to manipulate him into giving in. "It has been quite terrible lately, hasn't it?"

Lyra pulled herself up and nodded, as she heard the door opening again. Charles looked up and smiled. "Kaeya!"

It was this that had Lyra whirling around in her seat. The look on his face said he wasn't surprised to see her there, which made Lyra slightly uncomfortable. He took a seat next to her, and Lyra resisted the urge to scoot away. The comfort of the tavern seemed to have disappeared and Lyra felt the atmosphere of a war instead.

"The usual, please."

Charles nodded, before turning to Lyra. "And what would you like?"

Lyra tilted her head, considering the question. "What do you have?"

"How does Apple Cider Vinegar sound?"

"Please then."

Charles set to mixing the drinks, as Kaeya turned to Lyra. "You're underage?"

"Apparently," she said, circling around the question.

Charles set the drinks in front of both of them, as Lyra searched her pockets for some spare change she'd found in her house. For a former god, she certainly lacked the Mora to show for it. Kaeya stopped her. "I'll pay."

She narrowed her eyes at him. "Not for mine you won't." She slid the coins to the bartender, who picked it up without a second glance.

The drink was a mix of sour and sweet, and Lyra could feel warmth seeping back into her, almost as if the darkness was leaving.

"What do you think happened last night? We were all worried about you, because we wouldn't know who to contact if you had been trapped in sleep too." Kaeya sipped his own drink.

Lyra was taken off guard. Why would they be worried about someone they had met only earlier in the day? But Lisa had shown worry and genuine relief earlier that day. "I don't know," she said, her voice losing its usual hostility. Preoccupied with her drink, she didn't see Kaeya's smile.

"You know, a witness had a funny story to tell. Apparently they saw someone in a cloak and a mask walking around, their mouth moving as if they were talking. He couldn't hear what they said."

Lyra choked as her drink went down the wrong pipe, and Kaeya, the shadow of a smirk on his face, patted her back. The temperature seemed to drop as Lyra looked at Kaeya, really looked at him. She realized she had let her guard down, and quickly went to putting it back up.