1. (Izuna)

"Izuna!! IIIIIIZUNAAAAAA!!"

"Ouff!"

I fell forwards as a small weight ran into me, then fell over the bucket. The water I had collected splashed all over the ground, making my efforts of gathering it from the deep, unforgiving well fruitless.

"Oh... Sorry", a little voice behind me said.

I looked behind me from where I lay on the ground and saw Micha, a five-year-old girl who had a tremendous crush on me, stand behind me, blushing out of shame due to what she had caused. Everyone in the village knew how hard it was to gather water, and were incredibly grateful for me and the few others who stood there, volunteering to gather it for the elderly, the children and the sick who couldn't fish the buckets up from the well themselves.

"Don't worry about it", I said, smiling a little and ruffling the girl's hair. I wasn't even the slightest irritated. "Just help me with another bucket, will you?"

She did, or at least tried to. I pretended her pulling of the rope helped a lot as I let my muscles work to pull the rope connected to the bucket, which was, once again, on its way up to me from the depths of the well, filled with water once more. 

"Whose water is it?" Micha asked.

"Oh, this is for me", I said.

"Oh... I thought you didn't drink water."

I blinked. The world-view of children never ceased to amaze me. "How would I survive?"

"It's just..." She scraped her foot and looked away, blushing. "You're so strong. I didn't think you drank or ate."

Oh, good gracious me...

We walked back to the centre of the village, which was a small square lined with little wooden houses. Our village was small, yet filled to the brim with people, so much so that I wondered where everyone went at night. The sun was pleasantly warm, perfect for my grey linen trousers and flowy jacket of the same material, warming my scalp beneath my thick, long, black hair that I kept in a low ponytail. I opened the door to my little cottage and let Micha in. She immediately went and sat on her favourite chair at the kitchen table as I put the water for storage for the week.

"Now, Mich", I said, turning to her. "What did you have in mind?" She looked confused, having forgotten why she came to me. "You know, you screamed my name and seemed very eager to come and fetch me?"

Her face brightened up. "Oh, right! I wanted to play hide and seek! Or tag!"

I blinked. "Now?"

"Yes, please..."

"I don't know, Mich," I sighed. I went round and sat down on a chair next to her. "You know, I'm eighteen." I could see her eyes tearing up at every word. Hehehe... Every time. She never learns. "I'm not a child anymore. You know that I TAG!"

I tapped her on her shoulder, then got up of my chair and ran out. I heard Micha's surprised hiccup behind me.

"Hey! Not fair!"

But she came running after me nonetheless.

I laughed as I ran through the village, some people shouting angrily at me as I almost ran into them, others going out of our way as they were used to our play, and yet others even cheering me on.

We ran through paths next to the dry strawberry fields, along the river, past women washing their clothes in its fresh water and past the mill, rounded it. I looked behind me, and saw her catching up. I slowed down on purpose, pretending she was simply too fast for me.

"TAG!!" she shrieked and slapped my thigh.

She turned and started running, and I chased her all the way back to the little town square. At the cheese stand, I grabbed her waist from behind and twirled her around so she lifted, my long, black ponytail flying out behind me.

"You're SO tagged that your MUM-"

"Izuna."

I turned round, little girl still in my arms.

In front of me stood three men, the signs of age like crinkled paper on their fragile faces. They were bearded, wearing heavy robes that I thought looked far too hot for the splendid weather. I knew them from when I was a child; they had been the trainers of the people of our village, and had shown tremendous interest in me after That Day.

Now, they looked at me with serious eyes.

"It's happening", one of them said.

"What is happening?" I asked, refusing to take the bait.

But they knew that I knew.

"The humans are starting to prepare. We received a message this morning. We're sending all men and women and non-binaries who are suitable to join them. We-"

"But they don't know how to fight!" I protested. "Even the most experienced ones haven't trained in eight years! You can't just take people of a certain age, put them in armour and give them a sword and expect them to be useful!"

"Numbers are key-"

"But they don't know how to fight", I repeated darkly.

The mood had shifted tremendously. Micha didn't even try to sneak her little hand in mine, which she usually did when she was shy or uncomfortable. Her lack of physical contact meant she was scared of me. I was too infuriated to feel bad about it.

"Izuna..." I knew what was coming. "We need you. The elves are no joke."

"Nobody is laughing", I said. I hated being infantilised.

"Nobody is trying to make you laugh", another one of them tried to reassure me. "We respect you. Please, listen." I forced myself to. "The elves have everything on their side. Their size. Their numbers. Their training. As opposed to us humans, they have kept training for war. We don't stand a chance unless we outnumber them." I was actually listening. "And we thought..." The man speaking, who had long hair wound up in a turban, paused before he continued: "Having you would be like adding a hundred more men. We need your skill. We need you to lead the army."

My eyes shot daggers. Having me would be like adding a thousand more men.

"I won't do it", I said darkly. "I won't have any part of it."

I was adamant. I wouldn't do it. Not after what happened. 

Not after what happened to Madara.