As you pass by the front door, you motion to William upon seeing him seated on a bench outside.

The two of you walk to the register, and your mouth gapes as you hear the total cost.

"That will be $395.24."

'Damn! That much for one dress?'

To your surprise, you watch as he merely nods his head and hands his credit card over the counter.

Still stunned, you thank him profusely as you take the bagged dress into your hands, then both of you leave the shop and get into the car.

"It's about time to pick up Michael," he thinks out loud, glancing at his watch before pulling the car out of the parking lot.

As you look out of the window, bored, you can't help but wonder about the 'irritatingly extravagant ball' tomorrow night.

"You mentioned earlier to Henry that he 'knew better than to ask you in the past' to attend this event..." you start, still looking at the passing trees outside your window.

"Do you not like fancy parties like this?"

William turns his face slightly to yours before responding.

"No, I generally do not care for them. But do I feel for Henry."

You nod as you look over to him.

'He is a good friend.'

"So how many people will be there?"

"Too many," he groans, rolling his eyes.

You laugh quietly at his response.

'Appearance of an extrovert, heart of an introvert.'

Rain droplets begin to fall from the sky, gently cascading down the windows and windshield of the car as they make light tapping noises.

"And I believe that it's forecasted to rain tomorrow..." he continues, taking a left turn as you near Michael's elementary school.

Pulling in, Michael excitedly rushes out of the building and approaches the car, holding his bookbag above his head as to not get wet.

"Was your day okay, Michael?" you ask, smiling as you see the young boy grin at you.

"It was fine," he responds, slinging his bag onto the floor.

You make conversation with Michael as the three of you drive home, every so often laughing at funny little things he has to say.

"Y/n, what's this?" he asks, lifting the black boutique bag from the backseat floor.

"Oh, it is a dress for tomorrow night," you reply, absentmindedly watching as droplets of rain fall down your window.

Michael tilts his head questionably before you hear William's voice.

"Remember Mrs. Emily's ball you attended when you were younger that one time? Well, we will be going tomorrow night."

"We?"

"Y/n and I," William clarifies, glancing at you momentarily before returning his eyes to the road.

"Why can't I come?" Michael whines, propping himself up with one hand on the back of your seat.

"You'll have homework and it's a school night," he sternly responds.

Michael sighs as he leans back, then turns his attention back to you.

"Could you help me with my homework again tonight, y/n?"

You smile as you nod at him.

"Of course, Mikey!"