Chapter 1 - Not quite right

Start from the beginning

Tori quickly glared at Rex. "Quiet and let Robbie talk."

Robbie seemed to compose himself. "Ok, I've been busy a lot recently but I've been working on something for the National science competition. Everyone who enters, puts in an invention and the winner gets a huge cash prize. I have Something big. Huge. I'm going to blow them away."

"Blow them up is more like it." Said Rex in a snarky tone of voice.

"What is it?" Asked Tori, ignoring the increasingly annoying Rex.

"Can I show you. It's better if I show you. I have my setup in the basement. Lane let me use an old storeroom in the basement. I'm ready to go. Let me show you."

The gang looked at the clock and realized there was half an hour left in lunch so they all looked at each other and nodded. "Ok then."

Robbie then led the group down into the basement past the boiler to a door in the dark corner of the basement. After unlocking the door, he let them inside.

The room itself was the size of a small classroom and besides some boxes and broken furniture there was a good deal of computer equipment, hooked up and flashing. There was one other thing, what appeared to be a small platform with what looked like a metal doorway. But this had all kinds of wires and things running of it.

"We see it, but what is it?" Asked Andre with a scratch of his head.

Robbie went and hit some buttons on a keyboard causing the equipment to begin to hum. "I've built a machine that allows one to travel to a parallel universe or dimension. I've had the idea how to do it for a long time. Now I've done it."

The burst of laughter from the group was not quite what he expected.

"No...it's real. I tested it and everything. Saw into another universe, a couple actually. It uses interlocking magnetic fields to break down the quantum barriers between separate universes. It opens a doorway that one can look through and even travel through."

Beck raised an eyebrow. "Parallel universes? Dimensions?

Robbie tried to explain. "Ok, in theory for every decision ever made there is another universe out there where a different decision was made. You eat fish for dinner instead of pork, that kind of thing. Like that Gwyneth Paltrow movie, Sliding doors. Her whole life changes over the fact that she either makes or misses a train."

Andre was the first to speak. "You mean like a universe where my grandma isn't crazy."

Robbie nodded, "Or one where you live with your grandfather. I've seen a few other universes. One just a short while ago. I even stepped in it."

Jade rolled her eyes. "So, what did the genius see?"

"Ok, it was just this room, which was full of junk, but it was another universe."

Beck looked around at some of the equipment. "Where did you get all this stuff. It looks expensive."

"My uncle has a friend who works for NASA. They were getting rid of some old equipment and I was allowed to procure some of it before disposal. It allowed me to do it. Please let me test it, show you."

"Sure, why not. This should be good for a laugh," Jade said acidly, as she leaned up against one of the many pieces of equipment in the room."

"Go ahead Robbie." Tori said in an encouraging voice.

At that moment Tori's phone rang. She answered it and quickly grew visibly annoyed at who was ever at the other end.

"Fine, I'll be there in 20 minutes." Tori said right before hanging up.