"Phew..." He joined them at the table, running a hand through his already messy hair. "I thought I would be late."

"Where were you?" Max asked in a bored tone.

"Why?" He leaned on the table, smiling. "Curious?"

"Forget it," Max shook his head, turning his attention towards the blackboard instead.

Chuckling quietly, James glanced at Mia. "Hey."

"Hi," she raised one of her eyebrows at him. "You seem to be in a good mood."

"Great observation," he leaned closer to her. "I am in a good mood."

Mia took in a sharp breath, inhaling his citrusy smell once again.

Grinning, James leaned back to look at the Professor.

"Alright, everyone," the Professor clapped her hands together. "Let's finish our dear Amortentias today, shall we?"

When the other students started moving around, Mia grabbed the scrunchie she had on her wrist and tied her hair back in a low ponytail.

"Ah..." She heard James' deep voice. "I reckon you won't be needing my assistance with that today. What a shame, I was getting ready to help," he smiled mischievously, loosening his tie while maintaining eye contact with her.

She cleared her throat. "I try my best to learn from my mistakes. I wasn't prepared yesterday, but I am now," she pointed at the back of her head.

"Are you, though?" He asked mysteriously, then turned towards his potion, smiling.

Frowning, Mia glanced at her own potion, forcing herself to clear her head and focus on brewing.

"Right, James," Nathan turned to the Gryffindor a few minutes after they started working.

"Yeah?" He asked quietly while putting some ingredients in his cauldron.

"Do you have a partner to the Ball yet?" Nathan looked at him curiously. "I've heard a girl in the Hufflepuff Common Room talking about wanting to ask you two days ago, did she find you?"

James and Mia glanced up at the blonde simultaneously.

"Uh, no," James put his palms on the table, supporting himself. "But it doesn't really matter anyway, I'm going with Mia."

Hearing this information, Max snapped his head towards the Ravenclaw, clearly confused.

"As friends," Mia stated before turning back to her cauldron. "A lot of people do that. I heard that Jason is going with his friends too."

"Well... that's right," James nodded slowly. "He is..."

Nathan cleared his throat awkwardly. "Oh... I'm going with Sage Zamora," he added quickly, just to say anything.

"There he goes again," Max groaned. "At this point, you should just write it on your forehead or get a tattoo of her face on your body somewhere."

"Why, who are you going with?" James raised his eyebrows at him.

"I – well, I don't have a partner yet, but –"

"Then let him brag," James crossed his arms, then turned to Nathan with a smile. "Congrats, mate. Did you want to go with her?"

His eyes lit up. "Yeah, a lot –"

"Come on, they are practically dating already, nobody's surprised that they're going together," Max rolled his eyes.

"You must be fun at parties," James mumbled under his breath.

"How about you guys hurry up instead of bickering? I'm like three steps ahead of you already," Mia commented, making them fall silent.

The four of them spent the rest of the class working in silence.

Mia was the first one to finish brewing Amortentia at their table. When she was done, she took a big breath, then leaned down to her cauldron to smell the finished potion while the three boys stared at her curiously.

Furrowing her eyebrows, she sniffed it again, then raised one of her hands in the air.

The Professor walked up to her quickly. "Yes, Ms Malfoy?"

"Professor, I think I messed my potion up," she said hesitantly.

"As if," Max spoke up, unable to hold himself back. "You've never messed a potion up before."

Confused, the woman started inspecting Mia's cauldron, then looked back at her, smiling. "Exactly, Ms Malfoy. Your Amortentia seems to be as perfect as it can be, no need to worry."

Mia looked at the wall, seeming to be deep in thought. Feeling confused, she grabbed her bag and flung it over her shoulder. "Professor, could I leave since I'm done brewing?" She asked quietly. "I'm not feeling too good."

The woman gave her a concerned look. "Well – yes, sure, go ahead. Do you need someone to assist you, or –"

"No, no, no, I'll manage," Mia shook her head quickly. "Thank you."

She took the scrunchie out of her hair, then ran her hand through her dark locks while walking towards the door, not bothering to look back at any of her classmates.

When the door closed, Max went to check Mia's potion. After smelling it, he shook his head. "I knew it. I was kind of hoping she actually messed it up, but she really didn't. That bloody top student..."

Nathan scratched the back of his head. "I hope she's okay, though... She seemed to be fine before... wait," he gasped. "Could it be... you know... girl problems?" He whispered, looking at the other two guys in fear.

Max hit the blonde's shoulder lightly. "Just focus on your cauldron, will you?"

"Fine..." Nathan sighed. "I'll ask Sage later if she's okay..."

The Hufflepuff went back to work just like Max, but James turned to look at the door instead, frowning.

He could still smell her scent even after she walked away.

A/N:

Hi everyone... I'm sorry for ghosting you, things happened, and time flew by, and I managed to not update for months once again... Apologies. I'll try my best to finish this story as soon as possible though, plus I have other story ideas too, so even if I disappear from time to time, I will come back (unless I can't, but let's not jinx it). Thank you so much for all of your nice comments and for being concerned, you all are the best!

Are you guys doing okay? I'm already vaccinated and for now, I am healthy, I hope you all are too! Please take good care of yourselves and I hope you have an amazing day! <3