5. | 𝐨𝐩𝐞𝐧 𝐰𝐨𝐮𝐧𝐝

Start from the beginning

Personally, you didn't mind the silence. But hearing him sound less annoyed than earlier made you feel better. "Mmh, how long do you want me to stay?" You ask, turning your gaze back to him. Onceler smiles, and you pick up on the bit of nervousness to it. "Ahah, uh, as long as you want to. But, you know, I wouldn't mind it being a while." His smile stretched.

  You give his hand a small squeeze, and let the teasing roll off your tongue. "Alright, then I guess I won't be leaving."

His cheeks widen into a brighter smile at your playfulness. Onceler soon relaxes a bit more, settling into the cart seat, and finding more room to be confident in. After all, you knew him for being overly enthusiastic- - not a sad boy.

  "Oh, I'm gonna hold you to that." He gives you a little wink. You allow a laugh to escape, and nod along to his teasing. "You better."

  Pulling up to the cabin, you feel the hand beneath yours retract a little, unsure of whether or not to let go just yet. Undecided if he wanted to make the first move, you take the lead of pulling your hand off of his, and scoot your way off the carriage seat, jumping to your feet on the ground.

  The Lorax was hanging around the area, sitting with a baby swan, and one of the humming fish. All of them were playing cards.

An eyebrow of yours raised. You don't get to see that everyday back in your town.

The Lorax looks up, noticing the missing garment from Onceler's neck. "Hey, where's your thneed? You sell it?"

Once looks over to him, a little sheepishness to his smile. "Hey! Ye— uh, no. No, didn't sell it."

"Aww. Well, that's too bad!" The Lorax had a tone to him that really didn't sound like he was all that upset over it.

You wander your way over to the two of them, eyeing the situation a little. Onceler sighs softly, sticking his hands into the pockets of his jeans. "I think I'm gonna settle in for the night. I'll see you two later."

You nod, though disappointed at his departure, your hand gives him a little wave. "I'll be in in a bit."

The Lorax watches him, a curious expression lingering as Oncie trails his solemn way back up to the cabin house. "Oh, alright. See 'ya around I guess." Lorax waves a little hand in his direction, and you watch as his walk slowly becomes more weakened by the step.

You take a seat beside the Lorax, a little sigh in your chest as you offer him a smile.

"What happened to the beanpole?" He asks you, a fuzzy brow raising. Your shoulders slump, and you pull your knees to your chest. "He uh, got booed off the stage . . it was actually really messed up. People were throwing things at him, they hated it so much."

You notice his eyes widening a bit, changing his seating position on the grass beside you. "Wow."

You nod, letting out a little hum in reply. "I know. I feel really bad. He was pretty pissed off about it."

Lorax has a firm look on his face. You look over at him and offer a curious expression of your own. "Maybe it was for the best . . You know, sometimes people can get a little too far ahead of themselves, and start to ruin things around them." You listen intently, "When he chopped that tree down, a part of me got hurt . . . This is my forest, and I don't want anything happening to it, or the ones that live here. Especially not over some . . piece of fabric."

You get it. Totally understandable. Something happening to this place would make you just as upset, too.
Maybe he was . . right? Was it for the best?

If Onceler actually succeeded, that did technically mean that trees would have to come down somehow, someway. And then there'd be no more Truffula Forrest. No more trees, none of it.

Yeesh, you didn't want to think about that. He did make a promise to not touch them, though. Onceler wouldn't go against his promises. At least, you think he wouldn't.

"Yeah, I get it." You nod along. Those thoughts kept coming back though. You didn't want to think about it anymore. "I don't think he'd do anything bad, though. To be honest, I think he just wants to prove to his family that he can actually make something of himself."

"Oh yeah?" Lorax shrugs a shoulder and looks up at you with a little cringe. "What's his family like?"

A scoff leaves you. "You don't wanna know."

"Try me."

Your jaw tenses unintentionally, and there's a taste of bitterness in your mouth. "Assholes. His mom likes to gaslight him up allot. Treats him like garbage. Only likes him if he can make her happy." Without a second thought, you shrug. "You know, toxic family shit."

"I see . ." He trails off, looking to the creek. You nod, silently.
"Well let's just hope he doesn't take it too hard on himself." Lorax says through a sigh.

"Yeah . ." You turn towards the house, and frown a bit. "Let's hope not."