LXXXIII - Displeased environment

Start from the beginning

Seraphina felt a little glad that Master Valentine was at least trying to calm everyone so they would listen to her. She knew very well that in front of the defense ministry branch, he could not tell that he knew everything from the start and he had granted her to stay here as it would label him as a traitor and Houjou seemed to be an irrational person.

In these two and half months, Seraphina gathered that other than Master Valentine, Alonzo and a few other persons, Billard and Demian would not be able to rule the whole nation. They needed them especially, Master Valentine and if the old advisor got cut out from this nation, they would be doomed. Seraphina didn't want that either so she didn't say a thing about their contracts.

Billard's jaw muscles clenched as he said in a deep voice, "I want you to tell me the truth and motive of coming here and no lies. If I find any lies I'm afraid I have to follow the standard protocol of the defense ministry."

Seraphina nodded but her heart thumbed. Billard's eyes hardened. It was the eyes of a predator, there was no delicacy in them, the ones she had been witnessing in Billard's eyes.

She had never witnessed that side of Billard and now that she was seeing this, she felt she had fallen into a dragon's den. He gave off a dangerous vibe that made Seraphina almost surrendering in submission. But she managed somehow.

"I had been hearing some words about you around here and there." Billard's voice was grave and Seraphina could feel the malice in them as he continued, "That you are a wizard but I had refused to believe it."

Seraphina's heart stopped beating and her whole body stiffened and it seemed she wasn't the only one, behind the crown prince, Master Valentine had stiffened as well. Both of their eyes went wide. It seemed Seraphina had hurt him and she was scared what would be the impact on Demian. Her lips trembled but she bit it.

"At first, I had felt odd but I discarded the thoughts since my little brother had taken a liking toward you," he said, "but, I sent my men and found out, the rumors weren't that false. Certainly it had some false saying but not every rumor is false."

Seraphina didn't say a word. Guilty and sadness replaced her hard outerior in a snap as she could see in Billard's eyes that he had been taking care of her as his own sister but now she had ruined it.

Seraphina's eyes lowered down as the door behind them opened. The familiar footstep made Seraphina stiffened in her place as her heart pumped in her ears.

*****

Demian was called to the study chamber of Billard's as he hurried there at a fast pace. The guard said it was something about Seraphina. Despite having pain all over his body, he rushed to his brother's chamber.

He didn't know what was happening as he fastened his speed but the pain made his steps falter sometimes. He took deep breaths as the growing scales burnt under his shirt. He clenched his teeth and dragged himself ahead.

As he reached he opened the door and found the study chamber in an unusual crowd. He washed his eyes over them and found the men from the defense ministry were there as well. It made him curious as they don't often visit the castle.

As his eyes spotted Seraphina in the middle and her head hanging low, his curiosity was replaced by a frown. Her maid, Celia was present there as well. Not to mention the atmosphere didn't sit right. He went inside and stood beside Seraphina who's eyes were glued to the ground and her maid shook with fear.

His brother seemed no less than an angry beast, his golden eyes blazing with fire and Zenith, she seemed like she had a little smile on his face. Very faint smile but it was still there which made him annoyed and more than that, worried.